When should a child be potty trained?

PA-PAGrandma

Asked by PA-PAGrandma at 12:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• i'm learning that it's when there ready... but i just keep introducing it to my son every week and see how he takes to it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When they are ready...sometime before Kindergarten :) My girls were 3 and 4 and they just suddenly started using the potty one day.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• 3! They should be fully trained by their 4th birthday.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Every kid is different. We trained at 25 months, but probably would have sooner if time would have allowed. Some say the earlier the better, some prefer to wait. I don't think there's an age that's set in stone, but I think most people have their kids out of diapers before they turn 4.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son was potty trained at 4.  My Dr. suggested that I wait until he woke up in the morning with Mr. Woody.  So thats what I did.  Once that started happening, potty training was a breeze.  My daughter is 3 and wanted Tinkerbell underwear so she started peeing in her toilet.  I have a one year old who prefers to wipe her own tush, lol.  I think it just depends on the child really.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When s/he learns what the feelings in his/her body feel like that indicate 'fullness' that needs to be attended to, when they have sufficient time to get to the location it needs to happen in, and enough articulate language that they can communicate this need to whoever needs to help them get there in time, AND after they develop the control to stop the fullness from emptying itself reflexively as it has been doing since before they were born.

For night dryness, they also have to have kidneys that concentrate urine while sleeping, which for some kids can be under a year and others around 12.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When they're ready is most definitely the right answer. And usually if it hasn't happened by about 4 there is a medical reasoning for it. I started my son the day he turned 3 and 2 weeks later he was fully going on the toilet and has never had an accident. My friends daughter has low tone issues and just didn't have the muscle control for potty training so it took her until about 4.5 to get it down. Every child is different but they'll let you know when and there's no reason at all to be concerned until the child is 4.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• when the child is ready. for my daughter that was at around 18 mts, but we did it slowly cuz i she wasnt in that much of a hurry. by 2 yrs old she was fully potty train. my son is turning 2 next month and just now he showing a bit of interest.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• when the child begins to show you they are ready and are interested in using the potty. my first we didnt start till he was 2 and half and he was 3 and compltly potty trained. my second is potty training now at 21months and is doing awsome but he was staying dry for hours, telling us when he peed or needed to poop and he doesnt like to be wet and dirty. Both are boys. I know nothing about training little girls lol.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Definitely when they are ready. With mine, it has ranged from 2-4 years.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2011