How to tub wash clothing?

I'm interested in hand and tub washing my clothing. Money is extremely super tight for me now. Is there anything I should know about doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well, there are so many reasons people stopped doing this, but it's rather simple:

If you can boil everything, it will all get cleaner. If you can't... at least warm the water a bit so you don't go nuts doing it. It HURTS, otherwise. You're going to get really strong hands and arms --great to eliminate those bingo wings!

Dissolve whatever you're cleaning the clothes with into the water before you put any fabric in --if you're really broke, you can just grate any kind of soap, mix it in a bit of boiling water until it's melted and add to the tub. Start with the lightest colours and the least dirty of the clothes. Press them into the water and let them sit 5-20 minutes. Pull them out, press the water back into the tub, and put them into a tub of clean water (if you have 2... or into a bucket. Wash the rest of the clothes from cleanest to dirtiest, light to dark. Change the rinse water when necessary or...

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I wish you were close to me. You could use my washer and dryer.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

rinse as you go... lightest first so it doesn't colour or dirty the water much, and get as much of the soap out as possible (this is why you use hardly any soap --it's hard to get out). You can add vinegar to the rinse water, which helps. Then wring the clothes out tightly, shake them hard and pin them up (outdoors if it's dry, especially if it's freezing --it bleaches and dries fast) or lay on racks or hang on hangers in the shower, or kitchen (somewhere the floor getting wet isn't an emergency).

For delicate/elasticized clothes and knits, lay them out on a big towel or 2, and roll, pressing the water out using the towel. Wringing will stretch them permanently out of shape. Shake them gently and lay as flat or supported as possible (or they'll stretch out) to dry.

You get to iron the cottons, denims and other woven fabrics 'cause you ain't never seen wrinkles like that. Shaking well before drying helps a lot.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• One way to "agitate" the clothes like a washer does is to buy a new, unused toilet plunger, put the clothes, water, and detergent in a large bucket and use the plunger to move the clothes and water around.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I was too lazy to do all that. I just filled the tub with hot water and some detergent and tossed the baby's clothes in there, swooshed them around a bit with a plastic hanger and let them sit until the water was cool enough to put my hands in (our water heater is up high because of the dishwasher so it's scalding hot coming out of the tap). After that I tossed them around and scrubbed them against each other to get the stains out around the neck, etc then drained the water and tossed each scrubbed piece to the back of the tub. Then I refilled it part way and let them kind of soak a minute while I let my hands rest. Then I rinsed under running water quick. The hardest was wringing them all out. These were just baby clothes (newborn size). It took me 3 hours to wring them all out and my hands were so sore I couldn't move them for 3 days. Can't imagine doing it with adult clothes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The wringing out is the worst!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011