My 13 year old DD still pees in the bed. HELP!!

She lives with her mom full time now, but she still comes on the weekends (or every other weekend). Anyways. We have 3 kids and only had a 3 bedroom house, so when she moved out the baby got her old room. Well, she's always had a little pee-pee problem at night. When she comes over I tell her, "Make sure you go to the bathroom before bed!" When it's time for me to go to sleep she's usually awake watching tv or something (she sleeps on the couch on the weekends), and I'll make her get up then and go, otherwise she will fall asleep before she does.

Well, last week our puppy pee-peed on one of the cushions of the couch so we had to strip the cushion and wash it out. We noticed that when we pulled off the cushion the ENTIRE inside of the couch smelled of pee-pee. When I woke up the morning she slept over I noticed her clothes were changed and her hair was wet, like she took a shower. It was 5:30am. I asked her if she pee-peed on the couch, she swore she didn't. Well, we found out that she had and now, we can't get the smell out of the couch!

How can we get her, or "train" her not to pee-pee in the bed? When do most kids grow out of it? My 3 year old son doesn't even pee in the bed, so there's got to be some solution!

Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Being a child "bedwetter" myself, I would say be very patient w/her! It is probably one of the most embarrassing problems a child can have. I was a LOT older than her when I grew out of it, sad to say! My mother tried EVERYTHING, including humiliating me, as well as my sister. I rarely stayed overnight w/friends due to this embarrassing problem. I would definitely take her to the Dr. and discuss this with him/her. I know there are more things out there now than when I was growing up. I've even seen some type of prescription on tv advertised that is associated with this problem. Not saying you would want to go that route, but it might be worth discussing w/her Dr. There are also overnight underwear that hold in the wetness. I know it's embarrassing to wear those, but who would have to know but you & her? She WILL grow out of this, believe me. Some do earlier than others. Best wishes!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 1:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My DD stoppped wetting the bed when she was 12. All I have to say is do not get angry when she fibs about wetting the couch. It is embarrassing for her even if she seems to just shrug it off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor. Wetting the bed when you're older can be a sign of emotional distress or something physical, like diabetes. If the doctor thinks it is something emotional, I would take her to a therapist as well. Make sure she knows she is not doing something wrong; this is something that obviously troubles and embarrasses her, so be careful not to make her feel worse about it.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 12:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I tell my child to go before bed, I also keep her on a sleep schedule, keep a night light on in the bathroom, and get her up first thing in the morning to use the bathroom, then let her go back to bed on weekends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• She is probably a very deep sleeper and might also have a small-capacity bladder. I think she should be checked out by a doctor to make sure there isn't some physical problem. A doctor could also make other suggestions to help with this. One thing that you could try is severely limiting fluids after the evening meal. Many urologists recommend double or triple voiding which is emptying the bladder but not leaving, giving a chance for any residual to be voided. This is not an uncommon problem and can be worked with. You might also consider some kind of plastic protection on the couch.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• have you tried getting a doctor to check her kidneys? my mom has really bad kidneys and was wetting the bed for awhile before my grandparents found out because she was too embarressed. Sometimes kids act like its no big deal because they are embarressed and dont want to fess up that they really didnt mean to wet the bed. Put yourself in her shoes. Now, it may not be her kidneys, it may just be her not being able to hold it, and being a kid. But always make sure its not a medical problem. My mom is 44 and still having alot of issues with her kidneys from when she was a kid. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 12:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor just to make sure there isn't any problems. I wouldn't make her feel bad about it. I am sure it is something she cannot help. A lot of kids pee the bed when they are stressed or having problems so before you take her to the doctor maybe you should sit down and talk with her to see if there is something she needs help with.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, I forgot to mention that she's a VERY HEAVY sleeper. I am too, I could sleep through a hurricane or tornado, but everytime I feel like I have to go, even if it's a little, I wake up... It's just frustrating!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You also should consider that she could have an infection ? in girls infections are more serious and also could damage her urinary tract  in your post you said you can get the smell out of the couch kids pee does not smell as bad as adults so you should consider take her to the doctor because it could be also a physical reason for this.

gou18

Answer by gou18 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Tell her it's okay and you understand she has accidents but she has to fess up to it so things can get cleaned up properly.

I would definately go to the doctor and see if there are problems that could be fixed or that you guys need to be aware of.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011