my son is almost 9 months old...when do i know its time for "grown up" food.

he has 2 teeth already...one is almost done coming out the other one is starting to show

krstnlmbrt

Asked by krstnlmbrt at 12:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My children showed interest in table food when they were ready for it. They might whine for it or get really excited when they smelled or saw it!
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 12:45 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son is two . He started eating "grown up" meats and rice stuff when he turned one, but he still eats veggies from a jar cause i can't get him to eat any otherwise.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my son is almost 9 months and has 8 teeth. I still only give him baby food. I dont wanna rush him into eating adult food. I will on occasion give him a bite or two of my food but never over due it. I dont want him to constantly want our food. He needs his baby food.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yeah I went with my son's reaction to my food. If he reached for it I'd give him a tiny piece as long as it wasn't a choking hazard, and if he seemed to enjoy it I'd give him a little more. Teeth are also an important factor to consider, until he has more I'd stick to strictly soft grown-up food, but if he's curious and reaching for it let him try! It's fun to watch their facial reactions with what they like versus what they clearly do not.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As long as he has teeth then then I would give it to him. You obviously have to use common sense in what you give him and it can't be the only thing he eats, he will still need babyfood and formula to make sure he gets all the nutrition he needs but we started our on mashed potatoes and such to get them used to the texture.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• we started table food wth our kids about 9 or 10 months. Things that are soft and easy to chew with there gums such as cooked squash pieces, carrots, peas, soft baked apples, mandrine oranges were my kids favorite just cut them in half. Only give bite size portions or smaller at first. If they can pick things up with there little fingers they are ready to learn just be carefull and aware and make sure your not giving them things that they could choke on.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My kids were completely on table food by 8 months, with only 2 teeth but they could gum everything. I would just cut up small pieces of what we were having.

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Teeth don't matter. Molars don't usually come in until a year or later anyway.

You know he's ready for table foods when he picks them up and eats them. That's all. No guess work. :) Just give him baby-bite-size pieces of easily-mushable stuff (if you can mush it between your fingers, he can mush it between his gums), and let him have at it. He might play more than he eats at first, but eventually he'll get there. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011