Do you have a favorite Martin Luther King quote?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have tons of them!!!

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill-will.

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.

The time is always right to do what's right.

There is little hope for us until we become toughminded enough to break loose from the shackles of prejudice, half-truths, and downright ignorance.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 3:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Judge man by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.

Also enjoyed his I got a dream speech, I was there and heard it live.

Also got to meet MLK in Chicago.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If it falls your lot to be a streetsweeper, sweep streets as Raphael painted pictures, sweep streets as Michelangelo carved marble, sweep streets as Beethoven composed music, sweep streets as Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, "Here lived a great street-sweeper who swept his job well".

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
    Martin Luther King, Jr - "I Have A Dream" (28 August 1963)
    goodwitch399

• We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.

Forgiveness does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on an evil act. It means, rather, that the evil act no longer remains as a barrier to the relationship.

I say to you that our goal is freedom, and I believe we are going to get there because however much she strays away from it, the goal of America is freedom.

I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
    goodwitch399

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Also enjoyed his I got a dream speech, I was there and heard it live.

Also got to meet MLK in Chicago

And I have heard about it forever.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• All of them
    MommaJerrie

Answer by MommaJerrie at 1:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Not really. But I do like a qoute from an old movie...
    "You'll forgive me if it takes a minute to get accustomed to you."
    Why I like this qoute is because you have to get to know someone to be friends with them.
    And it does take me a while to get used to people.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I like them all, but I especially like this excerpt on loving one's enemies as it pairs nicely with Buddha, Jesus, and Gandhi:

“I think the first reason that we should love our enemies… is this: that hate for hate only intensifies the existence of hate and evil in the universe. If I hit you and you hit me and I hit you back and you hit me back and go on, you see, that goes on ad infinitum. It just never ends. Somewhere somebody must have a little sense, and that’s the strong person. The strong person is the person who can cut off the chain of hate, the chain of evil. And that is the tragedy of hate, that it doesn’t cut it off. It only intensifies the existence of hate and evil in the universe....." See link below for entire excerpt from Martin Luther King's speech, Love Your Enemies.

Art of Dharma: LOVE YOUR ENEMIES
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2011