How do YOU feel about this?

I just read an article about an accident that happened in IL. The gist of it: a woman was driving drunk when she came to an intersection where she was supposed to stop, and there was also a sigh that said "cross traffic does not stop", she completely ignored the warning and the stop sign. She then plowed into the drivers side of a car going on the opposite road. Causing the car to roll several times before landing in a cornfield; killing a mother and two young children. The article did not mention the types of vehicles, but it did say that the drunk driver was going at a minimum of 55 mph. The article also did not say how high her blood alcohol level was, but that is was above the legal limit. The article also said that she had several prior DUI arrests. Now... the article said she will be charged with aggravated DUI and reckless homicide. To me that is not enough, most especially with the prior arrests....CONTINUED......

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 9:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• .......CONTINUED......

To me it is permeated-murder, she knew she was drinking/drunk and she knew she was driving. The two do not go together, and was as American citizens are taught that at a very young age. I feel so bad for the family; I could not imagine losing my entire family in one night.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• yeah needs to have a more severs punishment.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 9:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• sadly, this is often left up to the courts/jury to decide.
    my husband's uncle(and our next door neighbor) was hit and killed a few miles from our house. the woman that hit him was not drunk but she was an elderly woman who had been in several accidents. she was involved in at least one prior to killing my husband's uncle, where a person was seriously injured yet she was still allowed to keep her driver's liscense.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• that was a cafemom member that was killed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

Are you serious how do you know????

AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It was in my CafeMom mail 3 days ago with pictures, and it also said she was a member here.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Wow that's just awful!! I feel so bad for her family!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• While I think the punishement should be very severe, there is a very strict definition of pre-meditated murder. As in, you must kill someone intentionally, and have planned it out in advance. I had a friend who shot and killed her abusive husband and got off with involuntary homicide...

Unfortunate, but true, that case is exactly the definition of reckless homicide...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• With prior DUI's there needs to be a bigger punishment. At the very least she should never leave prison. She shows that she has not regard for human life buy repeating her actions several times knowing that she could very well severely harm or kill another person. She was arrested many times but she could have driven drunk hundreds of time! There is a family out there with out a daughter wife grandchildren and children! She will maybe serve 10 years for but if she is good then she will she will be out in no time doing the same crap she was before. My aunts ex-husband killed a grandmother and her grandson when he was drinking and driving. He served 10 years and he is out doing the same stuff.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Amber, did he actually SERVE 10 years, or was he sentenced to 10 years, serve 2 1/2 and get out on parole?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2008