Bedroom as a child?

Did you have your own bedroom as a child? What was it like?

I was always so jealous of the little girls in some of the stories I read who had their own bedrooms, with all their pretty things and special toys, etc. I lived in dorms all the time and had to share a room with anywhere from 3 to 7 other girls.

What was yours like?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 1:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I shared a room with my sisters. Usually with just my little sister, but there was about 5 years that all four of us were in one room. In one of our houses, our bedroom had ugly brown, yellow and orange race car wall paper. We hated it and peeled it off little by little. Then when we moved all four of us ere in a room and my older sisters had a bunch of teen beat posters of their crushes.

I didn't get my on room until I moved out, and then that was only for three months until my now husband moved in. My husband doesn't care what our room looks like, so I decorate it however I want.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I shared a room with my 2 sisters until I was 15. Even then my parents had to clear out the den and put a door on it to make me my own room, but I liked it. I had this awesome little black stereo and cable in my room complete with movie channels. I even had this awesome wooden futon instead of a bed and a papsan which I have in my sewing room now.
    My Mom grew up sharing a room with her sisters while she lived with her parents, so she wanted to make sure I got the chance to have my own room. When I moved out the room went to my other sister and they each then had their own rooms.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I had my own room, as far back as I can remember I had my own. It was messy and filled with books and sports crap. Sometimes I had posters up of whatever I was currently into. Mostly the walls were bare. I loved it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I had my own room as a child, because I was the only girl and my mother felt it was inappropriate for me to share a room with my brothers (my brother molested me anyway, but that's not the point).

My room was nothing special - it was a converted sunroom, so there were windows all around and I never had enough wall space to put up a poster or anything like that. It was pretty much always messy, because even though it was tiny (about 6ft by 14ft) my mom used about half of it for storage space. I had room for my bed, a dresser, and a bucket that I kept all my "special" things in.

I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more if it had truly been MY room, but it wasn't. I didn't even have a door. I never had privacy, and my mom would often kick me out of my own room when she got drunk and fought with my dad... she would make me sleep on the couch so she could sleep in my bed.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 1:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i had my own room my whole life..(i was the baby of 3 kids) however i always wanted to share a room with my older sister..LOL..she is 7 yrs older than me..and growing up, she was just like the most prettiest person in the world..she was so "cool"..i wanted to be just like her..and yet she wanted nothing to do with me LOL...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• ohh and as for what it was like..it was soooo ugly...on one wall ther was wood panelling..the other wall was smurfs wallpaper..and the other walls were painted yellow..i had beauty and the beast posters..and pictures of dogs..then when i got a lil older (around 12-13) i was finally allowed to change my room..so we took away the wood stuff and smurfs and painted it a light purple colour...i loved it then...but the carpet was still ugly (it was brown and just UGLY)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I got my own room when I was about 7, and I was scared the whole time. I was always sneaking in to my little brother's room until my parents finally just put us back together for a few more years.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As the oldest of 6 girls living in a double wide trailer in backwoods louisiana, I NEVER had my own room. How nice it must be though.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• At first I had my nursery then my little brother came along and I shared with him. Then I begged my parents and was allowed to move in with my sister who is 10 years older than me. When she moved out I got my own room. It was a big room which was nice. My sahm never cleaned and never taught me how to clean either. So I had a very messy room. My bed was a hand me down that my father used to use, I never had a dresser till I got a job and moved out. Lack of furniture also made my room harder to keep clean. Then my mom would go and" clean" her room by moving all her junk on to the floor of my room. I loved having a space for time by myself but the space itself was not special.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I shared a room with my younger brother until I was around 7 and he was 5. I remember not long after that I asked my dad to pain my room blue so I had light blue walls and dark blue carpeting. We moved from that house when I was 12. In our new house I had the "big" extra bedroom that was oddly shaped and had freaking clowns going around it (thankfully my dad painted over them). Then I got tossed out of that room since I wouldn't keep it cleaned and moved into the other room across the hall from my brother. Both were 9x12 (which is average size where we lived). My room had teal and beige walls. Nothing ever matched. My dressers were old white hand me down ones. I've never had a set of matching furniture or bedding. The best was moving into the basement room because it had a toilet (not a full bath, just at toilet) and it was away from everyone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011