young looking mother and society

Im a young mother, im in my mid 20s and my husband is in his late 20s. But the fact of the matter is, is that i look 15. We all know the new "fad" with this younger generation of having intimacy and becoming pregnant all too soon. Im at a loss. When I was pregnant with my first son people (openly, didnt try to hide it!) laughed at me, mocked me, one lady at walmart even had the nerve to come up to me in walmart and yell at me in front of everyone about being way too young to have babies and i should finish school (did that a long time ago lol). My husband and I are able to have children and be stable, not that it is their business. But now i might be pregnant again and im kinda nervous. How would some of you approach this if confronted in this manner. I just want to be left alone and enjoy my pregnancy (if i am) not harrassed because someone THINKS i look 15 and feels the need to tell me my "faults". Ive cried way too many times last time and i dont want to do it again. Thanks

Bobbysgurl

Asked by Bobbysgurl at 1:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Its no one elses business! But you could just pull out your drivers license and ask them what makes them so self righteous that they could talk to a stranger that way without knowing anything about them. Geez!!! Somepeople!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• People are soooo rude!! I'm sorry that happened to you! You should be able to enjoy your pregnancy, but some people think that other people are their concerns. I see it everyday working with the public. I know what I would say, but wouldn't advise you to say the same thing, lol Try not to let them get to you, hold your head up, be strong and walk away with your spirits high. You're having a baby, don't let anyone take away your joy!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• OOOh, I would have so much fun making people feel stupid...I'd have my driver's license easily accessible and if anyone said anything, I'd whip it out and say, "Not that its any of your judgmental business, but I'm 26." OR better yet, just say stone-faced: "I was raped." That oughta teach them to think twice.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I know you donot want to hear how lucky you are but you are. I use to receive the same comments. Now I have 2 grandchildren and a hotel desk clerk thought my boyfriend was my son!!!
    MommaJerrie

Answer by MommaJerrie at 1:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i'm sorry, people are butts.

you could reply (when someone is rude), "actually, i'm {age} and i can prove it, unfortunately your an ass, and you just did prove it"
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Assuming that these are just random people coming up to you, I'd say, in a sweet tone & with a smile, "Thanks so much for judging me based on your assumptions, but I'm *age*, you pompous ass." Then turn & away you go!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i know how you feel! i'm always told that i look like i'm 16 or so. i'm prego with my 3rd and i'll go somewhere with my 5yr old and my 9 month old, and i still get dirty looks. but i just ignore it, i know that i'm really not as young as i look, i'm married, and financially stable and have every right to have kids. people are just rude, it's none of anyone else's business. who cares what they think...you know the truth so just shrug it off, that's what i do. before i got prego for the 3rd time, people use to comment on how cute my younger sibblings were...i'd say "actually, they're my kids" then if they asked i'd tell them how old i was, but most of the time it was left at that. let people assume what they want. don't let it effect you!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• just wanted to share...i'm almost 25.  this is me and my dd (she was 4 at the time) when i was prego with #2 (my ds who is now 9 months)  you aren't alone!  :)

nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• dont feel bad. my youngest had hers at 16. she just had another one last month.she looks like shes 12. just enjoy your pregnency. people are nosy and sometimes they dont think
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 2:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I like SandyHacks answer, I would do the very same thing. It never ceases to amaze me how rude & judgemental people can be. It's not their business! Don't worry about it and don't take it personally. It's their problem.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 2:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2011