need help and advice on getting 2 year old to sleep in own bed and maybe start potty training

My son is 2 years old and one month old... he does not want to sleep in his own bed and sometimes we can get him in it asleep already and rarley fall asleep in it, then about 3 hours later he ends up back in our bed... he also knows when he is pottying in his diaper as he tells me and grabs but goes before we get to a potty or when i ask him if he wants to go on the big boy potty he says NO... have you ever used a sticker system or any thing like that... i read on a few sites to try it. I just dont think he would understand it yet... We tried the bribing on the potty like if you go in the potty you can have a peice of candy or something like that but then he is just intrested in what we have and wont go. Any advice would help..thanks

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't try to accomplish both at the same time! That could be setting you and your son up for a rough time!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• im just working on the keeping him in his bed right now i meant the potty training for a little later...sorry i was not clear
    jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When he gets in your bed simply carry him, or walk him back to his bed. OVER AND OVER if you have to! It will suck but after he sees your firm he will stay. May take a few days. We got my son a cd player and some soft sleepy music, it helped him to calmhimself down when he was so angry at being told to sleep in his own bed. Now, he loves sleeping in his own bed and is proud of being a big boy.

on the potty training, you do not ask if they want to potty. You tell them that we are gonna go potty. Put a stack of books next to the toilet, or give him a few hot wheels to play with. When we comes to get in your bed you could take a detour to the potty before he goes to his own bed. make sure you take him to potty when he wakes up, after breakfast, lunch, nap, and dinner time.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm not sure on the bed thing, we're dealing with the same thing..as far as potty training, our dd was the same. We tried everything and nothing seemed to work. I gave up a decided she would just be in diapers until she was 5..lol I was beyond frustrated, it got to the point she would bring us a diaper before she went, peed in the diaper and wanted to be changed. Finally, when she was 27-28 months she decided she was ready to be a big girl and pee on the potty. My best advice, wait until he tells you he's ready, it won't be much longer. Good luck on the sleeping!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• we put a few toys that he could not choke on or anything like that in his bed, so if he was to awake from his temper tantrum he could play with a few toys while he was calming down.

also, have a reward of some kind for when he finally does use the potty. When my son would poop in his diaper we would take the diaper to the toilet and roll it in the toilet. After that we would wave and say "bye bye poopoo". he got to flush after every poop that went down. After awhile he just started telling me that he had to go poopoo in the potty cause he was excited to say bye bye and to flush.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I started potty training and sleeping in her big girl bed in the same wk. My dd is 27 mths she did fine doing the switch over. The potty training has its days. She really liked having the pull ups on. Wait till he says he is ready. Other thing I take her to the bathroom with me. Maybe you could get his dad or a man show him how to be a big boy. My dd says good girl when she hears me pee, its s cute.
    momil

Answer by momil at 1:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• one thing at a time
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• well i dont know what to tell you about the sleeping in his own bed thing as we are in that boat our 21month old still sleeps with us and will go to sleep any where but ends up back in our bed.

as far as potty training if hes able to stay dry for a couple hours at a time, tells you he needs to pee or poop or tells you after hes done it then go for it. Go let him pick out some big boy underwear and you will want to buy atleast two packs of underwear as there will be accidents lol. Let him wear underwear all day and just be on top of takin him to the potty every 15 to 30mins at first. take books or some toy to keep him entertained when he pees or poops make a HUGE deal about it tell him what a big boy he is. Use diapers or pull ups at night but only at night. he needs to feel yucky and wet in underwear to really understand. Good luck.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• With the sleeping situation, we had the same issue, (our son had no problem going to bed in his bed) our son always ended up in our room. We went back to the baby gate, if he wakes up he sees he cant get out and lays back in bed. He stays put, and we all get more sleep at night. With the potty training, I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat.
    CadensMama117

Answer by CadensMama117 at 3:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011