I am at a crisis in my faith, and I need help.

Please, I am NOT trying to start a debate here. I am just trying to find answers.

I have struggled in my life with Christianity. I want to believe in God, but something tells me He doesn't exist. I need help finding proof either way.

So, atheists and Christians, can you each direct me to some links helping to prove one way or another? I am not looking for the answer, "I believe because I have faith." I am looking for good, solid, PROOF.

Any hate speech, name calling, etc will automatically be reported to the CM admins!!

Holly.

Asked by Holly. at 1:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The problem here is there is no solid concrete proof either way. If there were, I'd probably still be a christian myself. This is something you have to work out for yourself. You can try reading Losing Faith in Faith by Dan Barker. I hear it's a good read however he is a preacher turned atheist so it might sway you that way which is something I really don't want to do. LOL If you turn away it's got to be because you reached a conclusion on your own. Either you will find renewed faith, a different faith, or you will end up relying on yourself and what you can perceive with your own senses. Good Luck on your spiritual journey. May you find the peace you are looking for. My only tip for you is to start looking within yourself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No matter what belief a person falls under, if you have concrete, scientific proof then it is no longer faith.. Part of not having all the answers or flat out seeing your God is not the way faith works.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• All I can say, is pray. If there is a God, you'll find answers. Neither atheists nor Christians can prove the existance or non-existance of God, and most people tend to argue from emotions anyway on that topic...so you aren't really going to get viable answers, imho.

Here's a thought for you though...even scientists will acknowledge that you cannot have an effect without a cause. Its impossible. Well, we have an effect...the universe...what was the cause? Back it up all the way...only an omnipotent being can exist w/o a cause. Just something to think about or discuss.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Quit worrying about proof and take a look at why you are feeling this way. Is it something significant that has changed in your life? Think about why your faith comforted you before you started questioning, is it no longer a comfort in that context? Searching blindly for an answer won't help you unless you first figure out exactly what your question is. It may be your mind's way of avoiding a different problem you don't want to deal with. And it may very well be you've had a philosophical shift that lends itself to a different faith or none at all - start reading and researching, but try to decide what you're looking for first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Faith and God are in your heart, I was raised atheist but growing up I always felt there was something missing in my life, so I went on a journey to find what was missing and I found that I neede something to believe in, that someone created us. A higher power, God. I don't have all the answers and is everything true that the bible says, I don't know. But having faith helps me to cope with day to day struggles. I'll probably get slammed for my response but its how I feel personally. Not stereotyping anyone here or bashing athism, to each his own. This is what works for me.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I am in your boat!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• mommaJerrie, although I really love your answer, I truly do, biology can show exactly where your children come from down to the tiniest cell. For someone strugglig with faith because of science that probably isn't going to do it.

Holly, is there not some one that you are close to that you can talk openly about the way you feel who might be able to help you in your faith? Sometimes, when we are struggling with these answers we just need some spiritual guidance.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Good luck on your journey... there are so many times I doubt my faith.
    What I usually do, is start reading the Bible. Not articles, not papers, not websites, but something I know was not someon's opinion, but God's Word. Things always seem to look better when I read the Bible...
    So, you said to direct you to some links... I'm gonna say, the good old fashioned Bible.
    As for atheists and agnositics, im sure there are some good ones on Google Search.
    I took a world religions class- the 3 main religions of this world, that have been around for as long as we can remember are Judaism, Muslim, and Christianity-all three believe in the same God. To me, that was all the 'proof' I needed.
    Again, good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for.
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 2:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• There is no such thing as good, solid proof either way! If there were there would be no argument about what is real and what is not. Faith is something you have to find and truly believe in!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 2:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Follow what is in your heart.... either group you ask is not going to give you the answers you seek...
    those must come from you... there is no proof either way .... it is called Faith... what you hold within
    yourself to be truth...it does matter your religious beliefs, it is still called Faith...
    You yourself need to sit and do a self soul search and find what brings you peace from within....
    Your beliefs may change from Christianity to another, but you will still have a belief/Faith... that there
    maybe a higher power of sorts...
    And then your search could lead you to not believing.... but it is up to you to decide...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2011