Think about it: How do u end generational poverty?

A lady responded to one of my journals and put that on there and was thinking, besides, education what are other means/methods of ending poverty? :)

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 2:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Making it big in the entertainment industry, winning the lottery, marrying into it.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Realistically, I don't really know any besides education... so I am inclined to agree with mrs.coop. The good thing about education is that no one can ever take that away from you. So I would MUCH rather work hard and excel academically & professionally than to run into money by chance.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 3:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well since this is a capitalist country , education is out.
    Lottery is out, since 1 in 1, 000,000.,000 is a ''big'' winning ticket
    Marrying into entertainment is popular and stupid, so much that these women are only the bait not the ''way'' to entertainment.
    Make a new bible that sells a prize for reading the whole thing, and the prize would be to be rich for life, have no problems, no bills, only a husband that works full time and takes out the trash, ( full time at a hard job which isn't just media driven)
    Education is out because mostly those with cars to begin with can go to school, since poor people are force down to poorer levels, I'll explain more runoutof wordspace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• continued==

people that are poor already can't afford school when they are stuck home with no options to get to school. If they have no money to get a car or even afford a bus, plus can't leave the children alone with anyone too much money for that, no time, and how can you just go to school when your children may get sick or not have a place to go if they are off from school, what about days off from school, snow days, or going to the doctors/ children's appts. these still have to be done when moms work who does this if no dad is home? do the children stay home alone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• @ Anon... WHAT?! What does education have to do with having a car when you can get degree from the comfort of your own home nowadays? In addition to this, a majority of college students on most campuses don't even have cars! People that are POOR actually have the opportunity to get MUCH more financial aid for college that those who are not. Even those who do have children can still put themselves through school... all that's needed is motivation and patience. Just because you were born poor does NOT mean that you have to stay that way... that is ridiculous. When I STARTED undergrad, I had 3 children; I graduated with honors and am now going for an advanced degree and the life that I'm living is far from the poverty line.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 3:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It is all about education.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Teenagers need to stop having babies. That is a huge factor in continuing the poverty cycle. May not be politically correct to say so, but it's true. People need to stop normalizing teenage pregnancy in certain communities.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• There are two areas of education on this topic. One is to get a good education that leads to a good job (not something useless.) The other is money education: how to make and live by a budget. How to save and invest. How to do your taxes proporly so you aren't giving the government an interest free loan or thinking that a mortgage is a good thing because it lowers your taxes. (Paying 100 dollars to save 27 dollars is stupid, but you would be surprised how many smart people think that when you pay off your mortgage you "need" to take out a second one for tax purposes.)  There are a lot of money myths out there that hold people back.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• how about teach our children buying useless shit is not a need its a want and that everyone needs to work hard and save the money to pay useless shit unstead of getting credit to pay useless shit....? and honesly if we didnt have so many useless jobs in the country we would have very few "rich" people.....stop and think about who was the "rich" people in the 50"s and then look at today .....see the difference?
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Lovemydog said something very good. Money education. People that have been improverished their whole life get a huge chunk of change will only know to spend it on material things. Nothing thinking about savings or clearing up debt. It is going to be clothes, cars, and buying a house out right. No one is thinking about having a savings fun, insurance (car, house, life), repair money, anything like that.
    Definitly education is a key. I grew up ( 6 years) in a bad neighborhood and I knew that was the only thing that would get me away from the hoodlums. but some people in the hood do no have a support system people will tease them for being different and talk crap because they are doing something with their life (story of my life lol). I would have to travel bout 30 min to the next town to get around other educated people and resources.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2011