Did your parents talk to you about money?

I was watching Suze Orman this morning (DVRed), and she was asking a young kid if he knew how much his parents make, and if he knew for sure whether they were paying for his college. He didn't know. I didn't know these things, either. I sometimes wonder if not talking openly about money affected my feelings toward it and how I handled in when I was younger.
What about you? Did your parents let you in on this stuff? Do you talk about it with your kids?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 2:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Nope, my parents never talked about money. And when it was time for me to deal with it on my own I didn't know what I was doing and had some pretty big screw ups. I will not do that with my children. We are already talking about money and our household budget.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My Dad told me how much he got each pay check. In fact we went in together to get it every Saturday, and I carried it out. He then took me to the bank and let me fill out what I could legally and he took over the rest. Then we'd go to the laundromat, wash his work clothes, and then go grocery shopping.

I was very aware of the financial situation growing up. I knew I had a savings account and how much was in it, and I also knew how much every day things cost. My Dad was VERY good at keeping me in the loop. While he wanted to make sure my life was stable and financially taken care of, he did not want me to be blind about the REAL cost of living expenses either.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My parents never talked about money in front of us kids. But they did tell us that we didn't have alot of it so we couldn't afford alot of stuff. We dont talk about it in front of my daughter either. She only knows that when i am sitting at the desk i am paying bills.
    Melissa_anne

Answer by Melissa_anne at 2:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My parents did but not until I was 15.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My dad tried. He gives good advice if I have a specific question. However he was proud and he instilled that in me. Never talk about money outside your immediate family and never ask anyone for financial help. My mother taught me you can spend however much you want on useless crap until you get yelled at by your spouse. Or to just expect to get yelled at but still do what you want. Obviously these are not very good parenting examples but it was what I was given to work with. I'm still trying to figure out how to talk to my son about it but he's not even two yet so I have time :)
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The only thing my parents told me about money was that it didn't grow on trees.I tell my children the same thing when they ask for something outragious.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 5:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I knew these things while growing up, and so does my daughter

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No..when I was a kid I remember thinking that we had everything in the world we could possibly need or want. Wasn't concerned about things like that and my parents made sure to keep it that way, When I got older they started teaching me about responsibility and working to earn money and I think that has paid off over the years. I take the same approach with my young children. It is not their concern how much we make and what we can/can't afford.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yes and no , they never talked about it directly but we knew we didnt have a lot of it growing up .......i knew how to pay bills and shop by the time i was a teenager and i am very good with a budget.....but being the oldest i heard and understood more than my siblings ......i also do the same for my children...they know how to save and budget and where the money goes every month but i refuse to make my money worries thier stress.....thier kids they deserve to be kids.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I never knew in specific dollar amounts, but I did always know when my parents were doing well or when they were struggling. As I got older they talked to me more in specifics. My daughter is too young to understand now, but I do plan on teaching her about money and how to be wise with it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011