I need help with disciplining my two and a half year old!!

He suffers from speech aprexia and also is behind with understanding. I have tried telling him when he does something wrong, but he just does not understand. He does not even seem to understand time out. Please do not say spank. I have tried spanking him a few times and I just want to cry. Please help!!

dea121885

Asked by dea121885 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son has a speech problem as well and our speech therapist taught us a few things that you might find helpful. She actually sends us e-mails after each session with little hints and such. If you would like I can forward the e-mails to you, just send me a message!
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The time out technique does work if administered correctly and with patient grace and consistency! Being consistent is the key. My oldest was extremely strong willed, she didn't have speech apraxia nor was she behind in understanding, however, I have total empathy with your plight! It is heart wrenching and exhausting! Just be consistent, no matter how hard you want to give up, keep it up......time out does work if done right! Since your son has speech apraxia he may be more frustrated in his inability to communicate with you and lashes out. Have you tried doing sign language with him in conjunction with his speech therapy? I'm sending you a hug!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I would just make sure that your reaction to any and all inappropriate behaviors be the correct ones. For instance, I have a child that is the same age and I find myself laughing when she is acting naughty and this will teach her that naughty is funny. I try to keep my reactions appropriate to her actions. If she is doing something wrong get down to eye level, say "look at me" "stop it now" I also use her crib as a time out. Ask "do you want to go to your crib?" She will usually stop whatever she is doing wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Using a place where the child sleeps as a place of punishment isn't correct. It needs to be a specific place - a chair - that is dedicated to discipline. It confuses the child that the the place of rest is also a place of grief is sending a confusing message to the child. It is a contradictory discipline message.  I mean you no disrespect Anon 9:16!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You need to keep it short and sweet,. NO, explain latter. Put the empahsis on NO keep the rules simple so he understands, no hitting, no putting dangerous things in his mouth, no running away, no stove. Praise for good stuff will probably work better. Afterall he can't just sit with his hands folded all day!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I wish I could help. I have a 16 month old who is extremely naughty and strong-willed. She really knows how to test the limits. Nothing I do seems to work and I am growing more frustrated everyday. People always talk about the terrible 2's but I beg to differ.
    Anonymous

• You just have to be more hands on. He is not going to stop because you say NO. Say No and physically move him. If he goes back Say No and physically divert him again. He will eventually get that NO means to move on to something else. I have a 2 yr old as well with this problem. I have to treat her as a 1 yr old because she is still there cognitively.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have a 23 month old. I have found that his crib works the best. I will ask him is he need a time out. He almost always tells me no. But I put him in his crib and walk away. He is ready to come out and play after that. Make sure you tell him what it is that he has done wrong.
    bulfrg_317aaj

Answer by bulfrg_317aaj at 6:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I completely agree with blessed5x. I had been getting mad and frustrated and when I realized you know it's not working I did just what she said and it takes an insane amount of patience but it works. Sign language is amazing. My daughter could communicate with me at 10 months old. I knew for sure she wanted a book or milk or binky. Really good luck, although not all kids have a disability but all Moms go through this, 2 is a tricky age you aren't alone. Its tough but stick with it.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 10:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008