i don't know what to do

Here it is almost 4am and my 23 month old DS has hardly slept in 2 day's he's gotten maybe 7-8 hours in these 2 day's not matter what we do he just will not stop screaming we have taken him to his peds and he's healthy he's not teething he doesn't have an ear infection so i have no idea what to do...I am taking him back in to demand a sleep study he will be 2 feb 26th and ever since he was a baby he will not sleep through the night....does anyone know what could be the cause of this or any ideas what to do in the mean time DH and I are so tired and have a 3 month old DD to care for

bonniemommy100

Asked by bonniemommy100 at 5:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is very normal of a 2 year old especially when there is a new baby. My 2 yr old did this so we brought her into our bed and she slept great with us then we started a new nighttime routine with her and left a lamp on in her room and the door open with a baby gate in the doorway. She finally is sleeping really well and sleeps 12 hours a night
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We bought a cd player with sleepy music. We also put a humidifier in his room so that the constant hum of the fan would help soothe him to sleep. your toddler might be doing it because you go running in there al the time. Just let your toddler cry it out one night and see if it helps. 2 year olds wear their emotions on their sleeve and will begin to really test their boundaries with you to see what they can get away with. If you put him in your bed, than he will know that all he has to do is cry and than he gets to sleep with mommy and daddy.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 5:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'd say it is normal but I think that all babies need to be trained how to sleep well. I have a rule that once a baby is tired and goes to bed, the baby doesn't get back up. This of course is after the baby reaches the age that they don't need to be fed at night anymore. There are exceptions of course such as illness, nightmares, etc. But it works well for me. That said I don't think a child should just lay in bed and cry and cry. When mine cry, I go in and rub their back or sing to them. It can be time consuming. But eventually they calm down. It teaches them that bedtime is bedtime. Also, I firmly believe in giving a child all the affection they want during waking hours .When my 18 month olds come to me I give them all the affection they ask for. I give extra hugs, kisses, and tickles when bedtime is nearing. But once it is bedtime, I lay them down, say I love you, and leave the room. Kids need sleep!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i don't see how this is normal my son will not even sleep in our bed when we try to bring him in he will just scream so loud he wakes up everyone in the house and won't stop he'll scream on and off through out the day and he won't even take a nap anymore....the doctors agree he will need a sleepy study test
    bonniemommy100

Comment by bonniemommy100 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011