Has anyone adopted an older step child?

My DH has wanted to adopt my DD for a very long time and she wants this very much. DD turns 18 in June and where we live, a step parent can adopt up to the age of 21. Has anyone done this or knows someone who has? I have all the information on under 18, but can't seem to find much for 18 and older except that it is permitted up to 21. I am wondering how the process differs, other than not needing the other parent to sign away parental rights.

midnight_storm

Asked by midnight_storm at 5:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Adoption

• Not sure where you live, but here in Florida it does not matter if the child is over or under 18. The law still requires the biological parent to sign away their rights. Just if the child is over 18, it also requires the grown child to sign agreeing to the adoption too.
    psgilbert

Answer by psgilbert at 10:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Surely an adult can consent to be adopted by whomever she wishes???
    Anyway I'm not sure so here's a link to adoption laws state by state. http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/consent-to-adoption.html
    Does your daughter know that she and her father will be legal strangers once she's adopted and he will be stricken from her birth certificate? She should be sure she's ok with that.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, my DD understands that once she is adopted she will have no legal ties to her biological Dad. It has been suggested to her by DH and myself that if the only reason she wanted this was to change her last name, then we could do a name change. DH has been her Dad as far back as she can remember, she wants it to be legal, she wants to be his daughter in every sense of the word.
    midnight_storm

Comment by midnight_storm (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Unfortunately, I can't offer any input about your question, I just had to say that it is great to hear of a step-dad that loves his step-daughter and that they both want him to be her legal dad as well! I am happy for both of you that you have such a guy in your lives. :-) I hope you can do the adoption without any problems and wish you the best!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• check with your court. ours has a documents department where you can purchase the documents you need to complete yourself. i adopted my step daughter (a minor) about 6 years and i did it myself w/out an attorney. since everyone agreed and signed and notarized the papers, there were no issues and it cost my only the filing fees, about $325. but a few years after that, my step dad tried to adopt me and my brother. he too thought with us being adults we wouldn't have to involve our bio-father. but not true. it has to do with the fact that you are taking away their rights. you can't do it w/out their consent. that is their chance to agree to it and then not include the adult child in their will / estate, etc. my step dad paid for the filing, which was alot more since there were two of us he was trying to adopt. but since he didn't have our bio-father's consent and was not able to get it, he lost his money...they don't refund it.
    psgilbert

Answer by psgilbert at 7:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011