When should I put my son in a toddler bed?

My son is almost 2 (will be the end of next month). He wakes up EARLY in the morning. Too early for man or beast to be running around imo, lol! Anyway, he kicks at his crib bars, jumps up and down in the bed, screams...and at night when he rolls over I hear him hit the bars...is it time for a toddler bed? I thought they didn't upgrade until they were older....I don't know. Help? Advice?

I do leave safe toys and books within his reach on his dresser, so its not like he is bored....

MamaCass07

Asked by MamaCass07 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would suggest not moving him into a toddler bed until he can climb out of his crib. That's what I did with my son.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Not until he can climb out of the crib. That is what I did with all five of my children! Once they climb out of the crib it becomes a safety hazzard and safer at that point to put them in a toddler bed!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i moved my son out of a crib when he started waking me up in the morning just to play..he was 17 months old. now when he gets up he gets down from the bed and plays till around 7:30 then wakes me up to change him. if you wait till he crawls out of the crib on his own you risk the chance of him hurting himself, better to be safe then sorry.
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am not sure he CAN climb out of this crib. I can hardly do it and I am an adult. Its got a LOW matress setting and HIGH sides that don't drop down.
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Trust me, if there is something to climb on or over, he'll figure it out sooner or later. I think it's best if you start looking for a new bed now. I have a 3yr. old boy, but he's been in a toddler bed since just before he turned 2.
    Angell33

Answer by Angell33 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my son is 11 months old and he is in a toddler bed. he walks and can climb in and out of his bed on his own. i feel that it is easier and safer with him in a toddler bed because when he wants to take a nap he just goes and lays down and in the morning he wakes up and gets a diaper and comes to wake me up. it just makes parenting a lot easier when they learn to be independent and thats part of putting them in a toddler bed
    tyhlarsmommy07

Answer by tyhlarsmommy07 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son was 14 months when he climbed out of his crib the first (and only) time. That next day I took the crib down and put the toddler bed in it's place. Safety of him falling out of the crib was what made my decision.
    jylfkanney

Answer by jylfkanney at 11:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We moved our son to a toddler bed when he was 2 in anticipation of our second adoption. we live in a ranch, so no steps, if he got up before us, he would go lay in the chair in the den. Eventually, he figured out how to turn on the TV and use the remote.
    You could put a gate up in his doorway so he can't wander the house or at least at the top of your staircase (if you have one)
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 11:55 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I would say test it out and see how he does. I think my son was about 2 when he got his big boy bed. make sure he has toys and books to play with when he gets up early
    notthemama1

Answer by notthemama1 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We put our son in a toddler bed at 2.5. We did it at that time because I was about to have my 2nd child and needed the crib for her. He fell out of the bed a couple times (it just scared him, he didn't get hurt) and we found him sleeping by his door (we had a baby gate accross his doorway) one morning. He's been in the bed for 3 months now. He really likes it and doesn't have any issues. I think it was the perfect age for him, but ever child is different of course.
    Kare423

Answer by Kare423 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2008