Earthquakes, floods, riots, crime .... Do you think more bad things happen nowaday? Or is it because we get to know it within the blink of an eye all around the world?

Sometimes I wonder if the number of incidents have really increased, or if it just seems like that because news travel so fast these days.
For example when my grandmother was little, news from the other half of the world would barely reach her. If ever.
What do you think?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a mixture of both. But media and technology does NOT help things and the media tends to blow things out of proportion to make headlines. A sites like this help to spread the hype.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think bad things have always happened & yes, i just think we hear about it quickly. News spreads faster than it ever did before. I personally think things are getting better. Slowly. We've made quite a bit of progress in the past 100 years, in many different areas.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't think there are more bad things happening. The floods in Australia happened in 1940, and I bet if you look back you find it happened 100 years before that. That is why there is a '100 year flood line' around creeks and rivers in the US. We just have the ability to be so connected now. Instant pictures, instant video, and instant indignation. Everything is reported. We feel like we are bombarded with bad news.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I am not real worried about it I think being prepared for the bad weather is helpful.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't think more bad things happen. It just seems that way. Everyone thinks that the world "used to be good" It never was, in the bible times they used to kill and stone people, back in the day adults still raped kids, nobody ever said anything about it. And for sure with all the technology, we find out about "everything" From the killings to the Presidents basketball blood.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 6:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• For the same reason we hear about it more quickly I believe is one of the reasons crimes are a worse. Natural disasters have always been there. We just hear more about them and more quickly. I believe some of the crime has gone up because the hate is fueled more quickly due to information overload.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, bad news travels fast and the internet plays a big part. I also think the world population has something to do with the number of incidents. When it comes to crime, or anything to do with mankind, the larger the population the more incidents occur.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Weather you can not give media any control over. I do think media helps to feed riots.

zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Bad things have been happening from the being of time. Media just seems to cover it a lot more and bring it to our attention.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 10:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I concur.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011