At what age did/do you expect your kid(s) to get themselves up,ready and off to school?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 7:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• College, I know when I was still in highschool, I would never get up to go.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think they are all different. My daughter is 13 and does great. My son is 12 and I may have to go to college with him.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Expect? I wanted them to start doing it around 8-9 but yep that didnt happen. I just had to rush my 17 yr old out the door because he over slept and couldnt find a shirt he wanted to wear. By the time they are in middle school they usually can basically get themselves ready, but you still have to make sure they have everything (matching socks, proper shoes, etc etc). One time my son (same one I just rushed out the door) wore shorts to school in the snow. I got a call from the school. He still does it, but they dismiss it now as just being how he is.

Answer by gemgem at 7:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My 13 year old son can do it himself. I'm usually still up before he leaves, but when I had a newborn I wasn't and he did fine. My 9 and 10 year olds I still make sure are up (we're working on them with the alarm clock), but they get themselves ready since I'm usually busy with their 6 month and 2 year old siblings.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• no clue, i know i myself wasnt able to get up on my own in highschool. my mom had to come in there and i would roar "5 more minutes!" until i decided i wanted to get up. no alarms, lights being turned on or blankets being ripped off me would get me out of bed on a dreaded school morning. i guess it will depend if my girls follow my non-morning person trend or not. my mom was always the chipper one in the morning so maybe some of that will rub off on them :) cause both hubby and i are not morning people! i would expect them to get themselves ready though by middle school.. as in picking out their own clothes, getting dressed, etc.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I agree with the college answer. My son is 14 and he would sleep through a bomb going off..wait, he did sleep through a house exploding 2 blocks away from us. Some kids can get themselves up and ready by the time they are 10, but others need help for a long time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Our children lived at home until they had finished undergraduate college degrees. If I knew what time they had classes, and I knew they were oversleeping, I would wake them up. Anybody can oversleep and need a little assistance in getting somewhere on time. Since I wanted to help them to succeed, that was my little part in helping them. I also saw to it that they had something to eat before they left, if they wanted it. Our children were very independent and responsible, so it wasn't like I was enabling some lazy person. It was just my way of helping them succeed in life, which I saw as a very important part of my "job."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My dd (7) gets herself ready while i cook....the only thing she doesnt do is pack her lunch and make breakfast....but she likes it this way...if i try to help her then she has a heart attack....she would rather be late then let me help...lol....she says i do stuff wrong
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• every child is different, my dd15 is going to need a bubby to motivate her butt still she graduates collage my dd 13 is so precky in the morning and ready to go in 20minutes i sometimes want to check to see if she wore the clothes to bed...and ds 9 is a whole different ball of wax.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I do think alot of it has to do with the child and the dynamics at home. For me I am SAHM my middle child is 11 and I wake him up because he is the first to leave. He does everything else for himself. My youngest and oldest don't have to be up til later, so my youngest gets up on her own and my oldest needs to be woken up. We have used alarm clocks in the past and they work great. I think kids need ro earn before college because if they don't then at college it might be to late and they may never get to class on time. For moms who work I am sure it is different. My friends kids all the same ages as mine, get them selves up and ready for school all on their own.

So I guess it is whatever you think it best to get your kids ready for college.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011