For those with second/vacation homes ...

If you own a second home that is quite a distance from your primary residence (say you live in the midwest but have a vacation home in AZ or CA of FL, something like that), can you please list your personal pros and cons to the situation?

Hubby would like to buy a vacation home and use it during the winter months; I think it's the most impractical thing I have ever heard of. Looking for input from those in the know. Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Travel

• Do you have a car accessible? Will you be renting it out during the winter months? Do you have someone that will check into the house when cable or phone or exterminators will come into the house? What about taxes? It is not a bad idea. My family has been using my fil's second home and it works! I love Florida but unfortunately am in another state now for job issues.GL
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Both my parents and my inlaws have beach houses on the SC/NC coast respectively. We use it quite a bit, but we live only approx 2-3 hours away from each. My SILs who also have a key to the NC beach house live in TN and Missouri - they only come once/year. I know if we lived further it just wouldn't be worth the drive with the kids to use it often, but our kids are young so even the 3 hour drive is long for them.
    If you are going to use a rental company, I know the ones around here at least will not lease it for the summer only, they want a contract for year round but that's definitely something to look into to offset the cost.

Answer by missanc at 7:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No. No. No. Can afford the house and taxes no problem but the thought of having to maintain a second home that is 3,000 miles away is too daunting to me, logistically speaking. I'd prefer staying where I am - I love where we're at - and traveling during the winter months to a condo or a time share or a hotel or renting from someone else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That is the best part to get away to somewhere new and beautiful. To rent it out is also to make sure that nothing happens. If a house is left without occupancy, ther could water breaks, toilet backups just odds things that we do not worry about that pop up in an empty home. I am sure you and everyone else can afford the second home but it is just to keep in mind that taxes are going up up up. I would definitely go for it.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Multiple homes, most rented out, one that our college aged kids live (or have lived in). At times, we have lived about 2000 miles away. It's a great deal of work. A good property manager can ease things a bit. Right now, we live between 300 and 400 miles from each property.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011