How would you feel about the cloning of an extinct animal?

TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Scares me.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• For something such as a mammoth, where numbers should be controllable if the project is successful, then it is an exciting prospect. But I don't think I'd like something that would be uncontrollable- insects, certain sea life, or flying animals- anything that would have no natural enemies and could spread and cause problems.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It could be dangerous. Is there a need for this mammoth?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:29 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't know. I get a Jurassic Park feeling.. haha. I think time and money might be better spent finding cures for diseases.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I dont think we need to play God. Animals are extinct for a reason and I believe God picks and chooses what form of life goes on and which does not.

Answer by gemgem at 8:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No. Mammoths were selected for extinction by nature. I know. Some say they were driven to extinction by humans. There is evidence that there weren't enough humans to impact the mammoth population that much. So, let them rest. They had their time and now they rest.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• no thoughts, just points
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You ladies...seriously ...WOW....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• What? You asked if what we thought. I think cloning is wrong. Sorry if you were expecting us to get all excited there could be a copy of an extinct animal walking around. No, it doesn't excite a lot of people.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011