house guests...more..what would you say?

what would you say to a family member (in my case my grandma) that was visiting for a few nights that ended up eating you out of house and home? She had called that afternoon on my way back from grocery shopping to see if she could stay the night..i was excited so i was like "of course"..well she ended up eating all of our junk food that would of usually lasted us 2 wks in 2 nights.. plus more. she drank just about the entire gallon of milk i had bought that night. (that normally would of lasted well into 2 wks) ate a bag of cookies by herself, a bag of reeses, an entire red baron pizza (my son had 2 peices)..i went to get a peice and it was gone. the loaf of bread was vanishing before my eyes. would you of said something or just let it go? I later went out to the store to get more milk and she said "hey, while your out get some more reeses"..when i came back i did tell her not to drink so much milk because we are expecting a big ice storm but...i was pretty pissed. And i cooked meals the entire time she was here too.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I would not have said anything, grandmas are special and those visits are rare aren't they?

Answer by older at 8:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• shes your granny so your just going to have to let it go. we call it respecting our elders, lol. next time she visits i would hide all the excess food.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would be a little inside mad...but at the same time...what sacrifices has she made for you? Grandparents aren't around for long...I don't have any left. If it's a financial issue you could ask her for some $.
    Bottom line:appreciate that you have a grandma and don't cry over spilt milk... =)
    glamarina

Answer by glamarina at 8:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• she has no money
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Hmm, with your update I have to wonder if she has food. Is she eating this way because she doesn't have enough food at home? Maybe you could pick up a few things for her each week when you do your shopping and take them to her. You really don't want her to go hungry.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sounds like she must not be getting enough food and your family snacks were something she probably doesn't get.
    Are you able to ask her if she needs help getting food? See if you have a Meals on Wheels? Does she qualify for assistance?
    There are lots of elderly in need of assistance but won't ask for help, Bless you as you help your Gramma.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would have said nothing. She probably doesn't get to eat food like that all the time and she was just over indulging. I think sometimes we just have to let things go even if we don't like it. I know sometimes it is hard to bite your tongue and not say something and knowing that she doesn't have money makes me really think she doesn't eat well very often.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yeah, cornflake you're probably right..we do have a grocery budget in our home though and we don't just sit around and gobble up all the junk at once..it did kinda tick me off
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I was also thinking she may not have enough food at home or is unable to buy the extras (all the junk food she ate) and when it was available she couldn't help herself. I would definitely visit her home and check her cupboards! I would be more worried than angry!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• ouch...I know I'd be fuming inside because we're on a budget....I'd have to let it go because it's grandma.....and I know down the road I'll be laughing about it.....maybe LOL
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011