y do people assume they know about goverment assistants when they dont?

I am on government assistant. All u say well i pay taxes and it pays for u blah blah. no u do not pay for me. i have it where the state went after my daughters father and he is paying it back. im sure people screw the system but give some the benefit of the doubt. I need a little help to get off my feet im not a lazy no good person. i cant work until january. i lost my job in feb found out i was preg in march tried everything i could do to get a job i started to show early so when i talked to managers they didnt really put much thought into me. i tried till i was 8 months preg to get a job! When jan comes i will find a job if i have to work 2 to support my kids so be it i will do whatever i can I DO NOT WANT TO BE ON GOVERNMENT ASSISTANTS. i only do it for my baby! STOP JUDGING PEOPLE U DONT KNOW.. u dont know y they need help..

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm public aid as well. Because of so many people taking advantage of the system and making it their "job" to be on it, there is a stereotype against it. But hey, I've worked and I've paid taxes and therefore I have a right to use public aid if I need the help to get back on my feet.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The system is set up for just what you are going through....Thats using the system the way it is/was intended. I have no issues with it. I am happy it is there..it's the people who use and abuse it and make welfare a career...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The people that work and try to get themselves out of the situation are using it to the specifications it was designed for. The people that don't work or don't try to better themselves in any way, that sit around and live off welfare are the ones that I am concerned about. I know someone that actually got reported for receiving food stamps while not working. She said that she was caring for her disabled mother, when she in fact, only sees her disabled mother about once a week. Her mother drives, does her own cleaning and cooking, shops for herself, and takes herself to doctors. she doesn't require care. So that is what most people get upset about.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Your a government assistant? What?
    Anonymous

• Most people use government assistance the way it was intended to be used! But most people on Cafemom wrongly ASSUME that everyone on government assistance is abusing the system! I agree that there are a lot of people who do abuse the system. But considering the status of the Economy There are alot more people on government assistance now than usual so, people should be a little more sympathetic to those less fortunate than they are!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• "I DO NOT WANT TO BE ON GOVERNMENT ASSISTANTS" Maybe Government Assistants don't want you on them either. Maybe they don't find you attractive. Did you ever think of that?
    Anonymous

• lol oh u all know typos happen.... i didnt mean to put assistants.....government assistant** ha thats funny my fault
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• WOW, why are so many of you so negative. She didn't ask you to cut her down or be rude. GET OVER YOURSELVES. That is what government aid is for. To get you through the rough times when you have no one else to turn too.
    And yes I will be expecting the rude e-mails to flood my e-mail and chatterbox. But in the end you will get over it!!
    As for the question, do what you gotta do!
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• A lot of people think they know and then try to argue with me. I'm a social worker. Yeah these bitches can make fun of you all they want. But let me tell you when their middle class husband who supports their stay at home ass leaves them for a younger woman, refuses to pay child support, and the rent is due on their crapy appartment - they all come crying "I'm not like all the other women, I'm not trash." Well boo-hoo to you. People on assistance are not ignorant or dumb. They are also not lazy. As far as your tax dollars go....less than 1% total out of the taxes you paid actually goes to assistance to families in need. Becareful who you call names and make fun of. One day you may be eating those words as your child is signing up for benefits. In this economy you might even be next. So back off and be kinder to someone in a crisis. You don't know their individual stories.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't think anyone made fun of her for doing what is right for her children. I for one applaud her for doing what it takes to put food on the table. I think what everyone is reacting to is her typing "GOVERNMENT ASSISTANTS". I think that she would have had the same reaction no matter what the subject matter of this question. She even commented about the typo and said the responses were funny.

jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2008