Where In A Car Is The Safest Place To Put A Infant Carrier?

I am a mother of soon to be my 3rd child and was wondering where the safest place in the car is for a infant carseat?

KristenLee

Asked by KristenLee at 9:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• They say in the middle, personally I put her behind the passenger side seat, mainly because that's only place she'll fit in my car with my other DD's car seat
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Center of the backseat, if you can.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You have to consider where it will fit. The middle is the safest but not if it won't fit tightly there. Some car's have a "hump" and the middle is not an option. But some car seat require you to put the handle above the baby's head and it won't fit behind one of the two seats. You will have to read your manual to see what they say about the handle. Some will let you leave it up, but not all. If you have other children you will need to decide who rides where. Other than that I would just stress you need to read the manual and if you need help go safekids.org and type in your zip code to find a technician in your area who can give you free help.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• back middle is the safest but I have a hump in the back middle so I put her behind me. I read that instinctively, if possible, in an accident the driver will throw the passenger side of the car towards danger so I want her behind me so she will be safer. I live in NY though and when it comes to parallel parking, getting her in and out of the car with oncoming traffic is dangerous so I'm thinking of moving her to the other side.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 10:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I always put mine in the middle of the back seat.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The middle of the back seat, if possible. Our car's manual says to not put a carseat in the middle if using the latch system. So our daughter is behind the driver.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You said this is your 3rd. Does that mean you have others in car seats too? If so, you have to see what seats you can fit where. It'll be safest where you can fit it and get a proper install.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• middle back seat
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011