Do your children play any sports???

My kids are involved in Tae Kwon Do, football, and softball. How do you all feel about kids in organized sports?

jrsec.mom

Asked by jrsec.mom at 9:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it is great for kids to be in sports, I do think that kid should try different sports so they can see what they like. My kids play soccer and swim, although they have tired basketball, baseball, dance and gymnastics. I also think that children should be well rounded so all of my kids play an instruments and my middle one takes art lessons. I think sports are great for children.

Good LUck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think that kids in organzied sports is a good idea....my dd (7) plays soccer all year long....the kids learn how to follow rules, be a team player,and to listen to and respect other adults.......but i dont like the sports where all the kids win a trophy....sports should be competitive imo
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have 3 sons, the oldest 2 are 6 and 9. The 9 year old plays travel soccer, ice hockey, and snowboards. 6 year old plays ice hockey and down hill skiing. I like organized sports to a point, there is value in moderation.
    ccasmom

Answer by ccasmom at 9:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my Lo wrestles with our large Bear (dog), bear nudges LO into it mostly, it provides a work out for both Im thinking its like pre lessons for wrestling/boxing skills later on.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Organized sports are a very good thing, keeps them occupied and not bored. Even better when they are teens. My 11 yr old DD plays club volleyball.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:12 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son is in baseball, wrestling and is interested in doing track and football. In college when I studied adoclecent psychology it said that boys in sports are more likely to drink and they have an increased risk of becoming alcholics. That is just what the books say. I believe the statistics are that high because possibly the parents are more busy with the schedule and lack of communciation is a result. So as long as the parent makes sure to keep the communication open then, in my opinion keeping them busy and socially active is healthy and keeps them in shape. My son loves video games and sports gets him out of the house and busy! And I LOVE to see the games!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes my kids play basketball, T-ball, soccer, Cheer, majorettes!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My DDs are 6 and 7 and they are not involved in any sports yet. That stuff costs money...money I don't have. They don't really have an interest in anything but cheer leading right now.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• when we have the money i would like to get my 4 year old involved in an organized sport. as of right now though, it's not an option. but we do go outside daily, she's very active and needs an outlet.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I want my child to have an active and healthy life style. At four he is involved in the Y youth sports. They have short "seasons" for the sports they offer. We have so far participated in soccer and basketball. Skipped T-Ball. And soon to do indoor soccer. He is also in ballet through his school. I am not one to think scheduling something every day and having multiple sports works well for us. I do like exposing him to different activities, having him interact with his peers, exercising, and learning and taking directions from other adults in charge.  In the Y program we are involved in they don't concentrate on keeping score.  It is about sportsmanship and learning the game.  I am greatful for the opportunity and experience.  It also have noticed improvement and he is proud of himself.  I find it very worth it.  And if is expensive :(

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011