How should I care for a toddler bite that broke the skin?

I have a 2yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old (foster children) the younger bit the 2yr old and I cleaned it with soap & water, a topical ointment, and covered it. It looks fine now, (scabbing over) no signs of infection (puffiness, red,etc.) Is that enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Health

• It should be enough, just make sure to watch for signs of infection, human bites are the dirtiest kinds of bites! If he develops any kind of signs of infection get him to the doctor ASAP.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• he shoul be fine if you cleaned it and it would probably be showing signs of infection now anyways as long as its not turned a weird color the skin around the area isnt inlamed you should be good
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Have your children received all of their vaccinations to date?! I believe at their 12 month shots they receive the Tetanus booster...so they should be fine.

When my older son was bit on the ear (breaking the skin) by another toddler during a mom and tot play group, my pediatrician said to do what you did, and not to worry because he was up to date on his shots and already had the Tetanus booster.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When cleaning any sort of cut, they say not to put anything on it that you wouldnt put in your eye, so warm water should have done the trick.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011