thoughts on PediaSure

Hi - just completed our 2 years checkup with the Ped who recommended PediaSure. What is it for and does it work? What is so special about "PediaSure" over something else? Any help is appreciated!

AubsMom2011

Asked by AubsMom2011 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We use Pediasure. I offer my children good foods, the problem is they don't eat it, so I am covering the nutrition they are missing in what they don't eat.
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• its like a nutritional supplement, lots of calories and vitamins and minerals..... good for picky eaters, or little ones that have trouble gaining weight....
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• pediasure is a nutritious drink that fills the holes when children don't get their vitamins/minerals from food. i hear it's nasty though, my 4 year old is underweight and her doctor recommended carnation instant breakfast instead, to mix it with whole milk twice a day. she really likes the taste, its like chocolate milk to her. and it also has vitamins/minerals in it as well. i would ask your pediatrician about this though before using it over pediasure.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my son is picky eater so he has it sometimes. vanilla is yucky but chocolate and strawberry are taste ok.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son uses Pediasure. I choose it over the cheaper Carnation instant Breakfast because it has more nutrition and calories. I wish Carnation did have the nutrition and calories that Pediasure has, it would save me money! My son likes the taste. I've tried it myself and think it taste just fine.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• From an adult stand point, or an older child, it probably would taste nasty. But to my four year old, who has had it since he was a toddler, it is not nasty tasting. I get the generic store brand. You can use Carnation Instant Breakfast but I would hesitate to do so. The nutritional value per serving is based on an adult. We did this for my son and he ended up with major constipation. Too much protein. If you choose Carnation Instant Breakfast, or something like it, you want to make sure that you give less than what is really in the entire packet. Carnation is actually just as nutritionalas Boost and Ensure. I have many patients who have used this instead with good results.  For those truly in need of additional calories you can make it a smoothie.  Put milk, ice creme and carnation in a blender with ice.  Add peanut butter if you need more protein.  You can also add fiber and wheat germ. 
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It's basically like infant formula for big kids. All the vitamins and minerals are synthetic and it's got a ton of sugar. It's only got 1 more gram of fat than whole milk, so the extra 80 calories per serving must be coming from the sugar.

So, if I were faced with a picky eater, I'd stick to whole milk (human or cows, depending of if the child had weaned yet or not), add in a good whole food sourced multi-vitamin and a fish oil capsule and just continue offering a good variety of healthy foods including healthy fats.

If doc is concerned about weight gain, look into it. Some doctors look for more gain than some kids are capable of. Some kids are just skinny.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011