spiders? brown recluse and widow's

we live in the south right now, statinoed here for about one more year. lately weve had a lot ore spiders and im not sure why. i just killed another brown recluse in our house, weve killed numerous black widow's on our back doorstep. i never thought those two spiders would cohabitate but it seems the widows our in our backyard , and the recluse is coming thru our garbage area door in the front. how do we stop this? our house is clean so its not that. anything i can do to help and get rid of them. im afraid one day our 23 month old will encounter one of them before me and get bit

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I live in base housing in the south too and I have had the same problem. We are from the north and there aren't nearly as many spiders, snakes or waterbugs up there. There was a whole nest of Black Widows in my garbage area and then there were brown recluses in the garage. My husband ended up killing them and we called maintenance and they sent out an exterminator. It is worth it to call them. If you call and they refuse to send someone and your son gets bit then they are responsible but if you do nothing then it is your own fault. Hope this helps!

Do you notice waterbugs too? I can't stand them and we are really clean, but we still see them. I even see them out on the sidewalks and the streets at nighttime. It is disgusting.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 10:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Ok regular old bug spray won't kill widows, I'm not sure about the recluse though. You need to get rid of all cobwebs/spider webs around the outside. We used a power sprayer. You can also suck them up and then either just throw away (outside of course) or burn the vacuum bag. The exterminator also told us to scrub everything down with bleach. Thats what we did and haven't seen another widow. We also live in the south and had a huge widow problem. Good luck!!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• ok. ill call maintenance and see if they will do something, i really want to see fi they will replace the one door cause the gaps are rather large, i could put my finger thru the gaps...weve had a few waterbugs..eww.

i know one area i think might be the problem...our garbage area has a storage spot..its dark..humid...and my h ubby said he's never opened it ONCE in the year we've lived here...and its right by that door with the big gaps. im thinking that area might need to be inspected, who knows what we have living in their.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Start looking for wolf spiders too. They are the night hunters in the south. They start to come in-doors when it's cold. Get an exterminator fast! Recluses can do sooooo much damage! Do you all have facilities that can take care of damaged skin if a recluse does bite someone? Check all of your bedding at night and shake your clothes out before you put them on until you can get someone out there. Rolling over on a recluse while sleeping is the leading cause to getting bit.

We've lived in AZ and TX all of our married life, so let me tell you, we've dealt with pretty much everything at this point.
    Good luck!
    kar8abun

Answer by kar8abun at 11:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• oh we dont check ours too much, the babies yes but not ours. yea ive killed wolf spiders too but i wasnt overly concerned with them since they dont do too much other than hurt if they bite. im going out tonight to get stuff for spiders/bugs in general and trying to get ahold of the pest service
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• YAY. i jsut found out since we live on post they have a free pest controls ervice they send, they are coming tomorrow to spray outside and inside, put down traps if necessary and eradicate the problem.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2008