How do I get my almost 4 year old to quit being so mean?

ranthony7692

Asked by ranthony7692 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Reinforce his positive behavior & punish and/or redirect his negative behavior. If he's hitting, tell him "nice touches only!" & make him say he's sorry for hurting the other child. If it's mean words, tell him" we dont use those words" and tell him what he shouldve said instead. It takes lots of patience & lots of practice. Good luck mama!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Who is he learning it from? Someone he lives with? Spends alot of time with?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• These are things that she is picking up from other kids her age and the best way to handle this is to talk to her and show her how not to be mean
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm trying but it's not easy cause she's been around really rough boys her whole life. She's not beating up on kids her age though she's beating up on my teenage brothers.
    ranthony7692

Comment by ranthony7692 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• OP: LOL- Sorry- I know you are concerned- but I cant help but laugh at the fact that she's beating up on teenage boys! They probably have it coming! -LOL (Send her to my house- my 19 y/o has been cruisin' for a bruisin!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My 3 yr old does it to my 9 yr old STEP SON and the onl thing I can say is time out or no rough playin cause she is to young to know how hard she is hitting and whenits playing and not playing.....Try to show her what is JUST playing around and when its being MEAN....Also pay attention to the older one cause my step son i noticed was teasing my daughter alot and she fought back...GL
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2011