• In the Spotlight:

Do you rent or own your house?

My husband and I rent right now. However we are finding it challenging to find a home in our area big enough for our family. We don't mind renting because if something goes wrong with the place it is our landlords responsibility and not ours.

sheer_heart

Asked by sheer_heart at 10:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We rent... and if you get the right landlord, you can do almost anything to the place....
    I have painted this place, we do the minor repairs... and don't have to worry over
    the cost of larger repairs... we are looking to buy, but right now in MI nothing
    is good, so it's safer to stay right where we are for now...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I love being a homeowner. I have rented in the past and it hurt every month to feel like we're throwing our money away. I also love the fact that I can change anything I want. It's a freedom that renting can't give you. I also like the fact that it gives us a goal to work toward. A rental is just that, a rental.
    I do look forward to building a home. Then I will really feel like I've accomplished something.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• own my house
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We own. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have owned our home for 17 years now......It is nice to finally have something that is "mine" and I don't have to worry about renewing leases or having a pervert for a landlord anymore.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Although there are great advantages to renting a home, like one that you explained, it is more beneficial in the longrun to buy your home. When you're renting you're paying someone else's mortgage, when you buy you're paying your own to eventually own (Officially) your own home. You not only build credit, but you build up equity and value in the home (If well taken care of), so that if it comes to selling you could profit.

We bought our first home in 2009. We've been paying 2 extra payments every tax season to reduce the length of time that we have to pay on our mortgage in the long run. (Reducing it from 30 to 15 years overtime) Which benefits us, makes our credit look great, and as well allows us great oppertunity in the near future to sell or live in a paid off home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We own our home.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We own our home. Rent is dead money but a mortgage is an investment.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Own, well, at least we're paying on our mortgage.
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Rent part of a huge house. We are going to ask the LL to open another room for us for the kids playroom/bedroom.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2011