regression / normal?

My son who turned 3 in Nov has been potty trained for 5 months..well, my husband called today ( he watches him on mondays ) and said so far just this morning he has pooped in his pants, then peed in his pants 2 different times.. he was complaining all morning of being cold and before I left for work, mentioned his pee pee hurt.. I thought now maybe it could be a bladder infection?~ but I tend to usually over think and worry too - are there any signs of a bladder infection?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Since being trained we've only had pooping accidents when they've had a stomach bug and didn't make it in time, but we go through random episodes of peeing accidents. It got really frequent with Leah at one point, and with her it was due to a UTI. Daniel just started forgetting at a certain time each day and we had to remind him for a while until he got back on track. I'd keep an eye on it and probably even call the pediatrician's office to talk to at least talk to a nurse since he's complaining of discomfort. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to limit liquids due to accidents, because if he does have any type of infection it's best to keep hydrated and flush it out.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Maybe the problem is "daddy", and hate to say that because I am a child advocate... I believe that we as women need to remember the importance of a father in a child's life!!! But if he's only having issues with daddy,and such a bad reaction...might need to have someoen else watch your child?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't know the signs of a bladder infection, but those sound right to me, and to answer your topic question, Yes, regression is very normal. It happens when something new is introduced (ie; new baby, a move).
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't agree with MommaClark in saying that you should have someone else watch him. Daddy SHOULD be involved especially when things get rough. The child needs to be comfortable around both parents for all things. Otherwise he'll never learn to be okay with Daddy being around.

If his regression is sudden then it could simply be that he forgot. It could also be that something triggered him to not want to. If he's complaining of pain or other discomfort then I would just get him a checkup.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If you have the insurance take him in! Let him know that if his penis hurts when he pees then he needs to see a doctor. Its not over-thinking imo its making sure your child isn't in actual pain!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• * we re up to 5 accidents now * Dad says pee is clear / normal and no extra smell or anything.. maybe he's just having a want to test daddy day lol!~ I called the nurse and she said to check the color and smell and if either are bad or he complains, to bring him in but so far, it looks to be a messy day for dad I guess
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011