Is there any way to chain up a dryer so it doesn't get stolen?

Odd question, I know. Lol. I live in an apartment and I have one of the little apartment washer and dryer sets.The dyer has this indoor venting system that basicly vents into a container of water, just the hot air comes into the house. In the winter thats fine but I am thinking ahead to summer when thats not going to be so fun. It is tiny and it has wheels on it so I was thinking I could wheel it outside on my front porch and let it dry my clothes there. But I don't want it to get stolen. My porch is only meant to be used for this apartment but we are right on the street. It won't be any big deal to wheel it in when we are not home or not using it but it makes me nervous. Even though I can put it right in front of a window and leave the blinds open so I can keep an eye on it. I was thinking maybe a bike lock and chain would make me less nervous but how would I hook it to the dryer?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Instead, why don't you get a section of flexible conduit for a dryer and stick it out the window when you're using it? It wouldn't even have to be a very big piece since you said you can wheel it around, so just wheel it over to a window. You can use a piece of plywood to block up the open part window along side the dryer's vent.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• if it has wheels i say chain it from the wheels to the railing? kinda like locking up a bike?
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That's an idea but the wheela are really tiny and a person could just lift the dryer up to get it out from the chain. Godd idea though. Thank you.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You'll need a large gauge O topped screw similar to those used to tie dogs out that you can screw into the wall and run a length of chain thru it and use a padlock

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Why don't you just revent it, so that the hot air goes outside instead of inside.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't want to sound like a spoiler here, but do you have permission from your apt manager to do this?
    some places don't allow items like that outside...
    also isn't there a way to have it re vented within your unit?
    As for chaining it up... if someone wants it bad enough, a chain isn't going to protect it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011