Flat Head!

One of my twins likes to sleep on one side only. I've tried tummy time with him at least one hour (total) a day per their Pedi. How long till his head is back to normal? I can see how tummy time may help, but how does it fix the fact that he only sleeps on one side?

djevica

Asked by djevica at 10:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? If he isn't rolling around really well yet, he may start to do that soon. Once he starts doing that well, he will start rolling in his sleep and you won't have problem as much. That happens with a lot of babies, however, generally it is the back of the head. By the time he is a toddler, you will probably not even be able to notice if it is still an issue at all.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My daughter had a little bit of flat head, nothing major, but she is 8 mos. old now and her head is fine. Tummy time is definitely key so continue doing that. Also for the sleep issue of favoring one side you can either buy a baby positioner or lay him on the side he doesn't sleep on and roll up a small blanket and tuck it behind his back so he can't roll back over to his favored side. Also they say to switch which end you lay them in when you lay them in their crib. So if you're always laying him down one way try flipping him around so his head is facing the opposite end of the crib. Hope some of that helps... and don't worry it does even out as they get older. Good luck! :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 10:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Try turning his head to the other side after he falls asleep.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My daughter hates tummy time. Plus when she was new we loved to just look at her, so she didnt get much tummy time which resulted in a flat head. I talked with a nurse and she said to gently massage the baby's head and it should shape up. We are still massaging, been about a month with more tummy time and she still has a flat head
    IheaRtCaMer0N

Answer by IheaRtCaMer0N at 4:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I don't want to alarm you in the least bit, but I don't want you to think that it will defintely fix itself.
    Does he only favor one side when sleeping or all day long? My daughter favors one side all the time (torticollis) and therefore has a flat spot on one side of her head. Some peds will tell you that it will round itself out, but I do not believe that. If it is severe flatness then you should talk with your ped about going to see a cranial specialist for a eval, but only if it matters to you. Some parents may not care if their child's head is mishapen a bit, but I do. If my daughter's condition worsens then she will be getting the docband (baby helmet) to help even her head out.
    Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son had a flat head when he was a baby. now, he is 14 months old, and his head looks normal. It will fix it'self, but maybe not completly
    freakxxshow27

Answer by freakxxshow27 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009