Remmeber how he was "standing up to the special interests" ?

WATERVILLE, Maine – Maine Gov. Paul LePage has changed his plans and attended a Martin Luther King Jr. Day breakfast just days after saying critics of his decision to skip other holiday weekend events could "kiss my butt."

LePage attended the breakfast in Waterville on Monday, just as he had done for several years as the city's mayor before being elected governor.

His appearance was scheduled after he responded Friday to critics of his decision not to attend the state NAACP's annual holiday celebrations. LePage cited scheduling conflicts, but his "kiss my butt" comment drew harsh criticism from state and national leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

LePage didn't speak publicly at Monday's event, but in an interview spoke of the importance of King's contributions.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "According to his spokesman, Gov. LePage (left, in file photo) had made an earlier commitment to attend the funeral of a state trooper scheduled for Monday, the Martin Luther King holiday. To mark the King holiday, Dan Demeritt says the governor has signed a proclamation honoring the slain civil rights leader and will bring up Dr. King's legacy in his weekly radio address.

LINK

And I agree with him! He's not afraid to tell it like it is!! Wish MORE politicians were willing to stick their necks out like him!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Apparently he is, he changed his plans and attended after he received flak from the people about his unnecessary rude remarks

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• So has he "earned a point" in your book, or do you still harbor just as much disdain for the man, because he is backed by the TEA PARTY!?!?!

I get the feeling he'll NEVER measure up your book. Good thing it doesn't matter what you think. We happen to own property in Maine, and have family that own property in Maine, so we have a "smidge" more invested in the goings on in Maine! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

Don't "disdain" him, I barely know him. He was chosen to rep a state and THIS is the only thing I know about him....NOT looking good for his state....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Wow, folding to public pressure. How admirable. I guess some people will do anything to stop the B&Ming. I hope he was able to pay his respects for another public servant.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Don't "disdain" him, I barely know him. He was chosen to rep a state and THIS is the only thing I know about him....NOT looking good for his state....

***

Yeah...a state that LIVES like Republicans, yet overwhelmingly VOTES Democratic.

The ONLY reason you posted this, is because it's an opportunity to bash a Republican or someone affiliated with the TEA Party. If he had been a Democrat, you NEVER would have posted this--controversy or not!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The ONLY reason you posted this, is because it's an opportunity to bash a Republican

and why was the original kiss my butt one posted?
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm not opposed to standing up for what one believes in. . . unless that person is an elected official who is supposed to be representing the people in his region. I also don't see the need for unnecessary belligerence and aggressive speech. Even if he turned down the NAACP several times, there are other ways to decline an invitation, even publicly, without saying "they can kiss my butt". That sort of talk sets a tone of disrespect that can't possibly work well for his state or for our country.

In all seriousness, those of you who are applauding his crass behavior and see it as a sign that he stands up for what he believes in. . . how would you be responding if he were a Democrat?  I really think it's his party affiliation that you are excusing.  I can't see you applauding that sort of behavior if it were coming from a Democratic public figure.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• So his schedule changed and he had the time and opportunity to attend the function? I wonder if he's proud of his words? Does he own them ? Does he enjoy calling a spaded a spade? Wonder who convinced him to man up, shut up and THINK before he speaks?

Saying No, fine-

The rest is just a reflection of him...so he caved, also a reflection.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• JSben- ITA!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2011