Are cats as protective as dogs

My cat has been pretty standoffish to my son, which I can understand, he is loud. Last night though I put her on the end of the bed away from him so he would not roll on or kick her in his sleep. When I went to bed she had moved up next to him. She then went and layed right by his feet when I layed down. It was like she knew that I was now there so she could move.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 11:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pets

• I think it depends on the cat. My sis had a huge 30-lb cat named KR (Kitty Ringo) and he protected his domain-- if anyone came in that house he was right there sizing up the 'interloper' making warning kitty noises (a mean Grrr sound) and he did not hesitate to let you know you were on HIS turf and you had better watch your self! Most people were afraid of KR (bil included!) and they tended to stay out of KR's way! So he was a great 'watch cat' for my sis.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Depends on the animal. Dogs are bred to be dependent on their humans, cats are bred to look a certain way and not necessarily for personality traits. Overall, cats are very independent, but some may function better than dogs to protect. BUT, I know more people who would chose NOT to enter your home if they heard a barking dog as opposed to a meowing cat ...
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have had many cats over the yrs that have been very protective of my dd's when they were young...
    even when I was a child we had a cat that would take on large dogs that came to close to our
    backyard...
    It depends on the cat themselves...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It is my opinion that dogs are more protective then cats.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 11:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• They can be. My cat was very protective. One of my neighbors dogs got loose once and I grabbed his collar to stop him so that I could return him and he started jumping a little bit. My cat saw this and was about to attack this very large dog to protect me (I think) and another neighbor had to grab my cat before there was a big problem-lol.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, any animal can become protective of an owner or their children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Some cats can be, just like dogs. My cat Dusty was my childhood cat and was very protective of me. He was just as protective of my daughter even when he was an old man.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• they can be
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In my experience, when someone strange is in the home the cats scatter. The dogs hover and stay close. In the home, the cats seem to be aloof and could care less about me or my family lol. I have to vote dogs on this one.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Dogs are more loyal. Cats are just plain stupid...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2011