Steve Jobs

I just heard on the news that Steve Jobs (founder of Apple) who is an adoptee is taking another medical leave. He had a liver transplant a couple of years ago and I always wondered if his bio family ever was part of that process. Does anyone know if he ever searched for them or if they had any involvement in the transplant? This latest medical development, whatever it is, does not sound good.

confused969

Asked by confused969 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Adoption

• This is the first I had heard this. I would like to learn more. Something else to research.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I just read about this in the news right before logging on here
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I just did a little searching online. Apparently the identity of his birth parents is known and I found an article with their names. Whether he searched or they came forward or someone else found them I have no idea. As far as the transplant though I have not seen any reference to them or his bio sibling or anything else regarding the donor. Apparently the bio parents later married and had another child. Jobs really does not like to talk about his personal life AT ALL.
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I had no idea he was an adoptee.
    Surely one cannot donate a liver and still live can they? We only have one.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes it is possible. Here is a link talking about it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/liver-transplant/livingdonorlivertransplant.html
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You only take slices of a liver. It can grow.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I love hearing stories of successful adoptees, such as Dave Thomas and Steve Jobs. It flies against some of the ridiculous negative stereotypes about adoptees. :-)
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 7:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The sad thing is family members most often are not enough. In terms of organ donation. Very hard. My parents donated my brother's organ's after he died. Many of his organs went to adults despite his being just seven.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• quote; It flies against some of the ridiculous negative stereotypes about adoptees. :-)

It does feel good to know that not all of us run with scissors and play with matches lol
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 3:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• "I love hearing stories of successful adoptees, such as Dave Thomas and Steve Jobs. It flies against some of the ridiculous negative stereotypes about adoptees. :-) "
    Yes there are lots of famous and successful adoptees. Most of us are doing well although I have to admit I have not yet reached the status of billionaire entrepeneur. lol

"The sad thing is family members most often are not enough. In terms of organ donation. Very hard. My parents donated my brother's organ's after he died. Many of his organs went to adults despite his being just seven. "
    Yes it is hard to find a match and I'm sorry to hear your brother died so young. I know an adoptee that tried to donate a kidney to her bio brother but it was not a good match and he ended up with one from someone unrelated.
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011