Should i have my 6 month old son take his flu shot? ive heard alot of negativity about it and so far the cons outweigh the pros, and i was just wondering what your opinions are.

snavarro

Asked by snavarro at 10:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• my daughter is now 16mo and she did not gt the shot or flu last yr and will not get it this yr either
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 10:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son is 4 and has never had the flu shot. I am very healthy as is my SO. I haven't gotten the flu in about 8 years. My son didn't get his first cold until he was 3 so IMO he doesn't need it. Now, his dad's mother disagrees and says I should get it for him, but I don't see it as being necessary. Come on, the poor kid has had enough shots in his life already, why put him thru an "optional" one?! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it is a parents choice and you will probably get mixed responses. My dh and I do not give or kids the flu shot nor do we take it ,anymore. We don't see the need for it. We rarely ever get the flu and the one time we did get it was the first and last time are oldest was given the shot.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Two of my 3 kids have epilepsy and I have diabetes. We do not get the flu shot - just bulk up on vitamin D, C and echinacea and we have all done fine. No flu in over 5 yrs!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Our SS got the flu shot up until he was 4. When he was 4 he got the worst flu he ever had. It took weeks to get him over it, we took him to the doctor at least 12 times for it. It was insane. Since then, two flu seasons have gone by and he hasn't gotten the shot or the flu. I think at a certain point, children can build up a tolerance for it and it doesn't do any good anymore. Headed into this flu season, we are going to opt out of flu shots for both of our children now (7 yrs and 9 months) But if you feel it is right for you or for your children, by all means, do it!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It's up to you. My husband and I are both "at risk" for flu because of our lifestyles/activities, plus I have asthma so flu could be extra bad for me. So we all do flu shots in my house, even the baby,
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My daughter had it right at 6 months and had it last month for the second time. No problems. I got mine as did my husband. He had the flu last year and didn't want to repeat it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    Anonymous

• You cant build a "tolerance" for it because its a different vaccine every year. it takes the flu a yr to make it from china to here. the vaccine they are giving right now was made against the most "popular" strain (the one most ppl were infected with) last yr in china. since there are many strains of flu, the flu shot does not protect against getting every type of flu of course. just the one you are most likely to get based on research from the previous year. so its hit or miss really. Simply, you are only protected against one flu strain not all of them.
    Anonymous

• I've never had the flu shot and neither wil my 3 kids. I also have asthma and have a terrible time with it, but I can deal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008