Is it Insomnia?

My daughter usually stays up all night.But one night she stayed up til 4 in the morning and fell asleep for about 20 minutes,she fell alseep for 10 minutes on the bus.So That day she only got 30 minutes of sleep.So now her sleeping scedual is all messed up.Do you think it could possibly be Insomnia,or just becuase she only got 30 minutes of sleep that one day.

KimKards

Asked by KimKards at 11:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on whether it's a regular thing or did it just start? If you are seriously worried you can talk to her doctor and just remember there are other alternatives to sleeping pills
    ranthony7692

Answer by ranthony7692 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I had insomnia from the age of 6 to 12 and my mom did not believe little kids could have insomnia but its possible talk to her doctor about what she can do.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Not sure. But if it continues for many more nights and you don't see it getting any better, I would take her to a Dr.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 11:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have insomnia the best thing to do is try to get her back on a normal schedule if it persists then try meds but let that be the last thing bc then she will most likely have to have meds to help her sleep for the rest of her life an it sucks
    KittyGoesRuff

Answer by KittyGoesRuff at 11:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ya.I bought her sleeping pills because she can never sleep.Im not really worried about it.Im just curious of what it could be.
    KimKards

Comment by KimKards (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My oldest is 16 and is very much like me - neither of us can sleep and tend to run on empty a lot. In my case its my bi-polar and racing thoughts I can't calm my mind and fall asleep without medication. I worry that my son may also be bi-polar but at this point I think he may have insomnia, I plan to talk to his peditrician about it the next time we go in. I haven't gotten him sleeping pills yet, because I want to talk to the dr first.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Buy some Valerian Root(no fillers, additives,etc.) and have her take 1 pill an hour before bedtime. They stink so make sure she knows this beforehand. My kids plug their noses. It's all natural & works awesome. Make sure she goes to bed so she gets at least 8hrs. of sleep. All my kids& I have had insomnia & this is the only thing that worked. No side effects either and you get a wonderful nights sleep.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2011