How do I know if my baby is allergic to a formula?

I used to have my 4 month old on Similac Allimentum(hypoallergenic formula) but due to it being so expensive and thinking her colic was finished we decided to switch. So I tried Similac Sensitive for fussiness & gas, but she became irritable & gassy, so now I'm trying Goodstart Gentleplus and she still seems irritable and now has a red splotch on her cheek that isnt going away. Now she has a runny nose and has a little dry cough, and sneezing alot. Could she be allergic to the formula?

hdsears

Asked by hdsears at 11:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she was on allimentum, then yes, she probably does have an allergy/intolerance to dairy and/or soy proteins. They typically outgrow these things, but not by 4 months.

If the cost is prohibitive, have you thought of trying to relactate to provide at least part of her milk supply? With the intolerances you may have to modify your diet, but it's something to consider if you want to cut down on the expense of formula (or cut it out completely if you're really successful).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• A red spot was how my son still shows an intolerance to something at 3 years old - we also had this trouble with colic/formula as an infant.. I was able to get "sample" sizes from the DR of the allimentum to reduce the cost but he continued to stay fussy until 12 months on solid foods - I wish you the best of luck..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• do they make a off brand of the allimentum you could try? If shes on that kind of formula its cause her little tummy cant tolerate regular milk protien or soy protien. Most kids our grow it by a year or so. My son had to be on Similac sensative because he was lactose intolerant but hes now 21months and has done just fine on regular milk so have faith most kids to outgrow this. Also have you tried diapers.com because they sell infant formulas in bulk cheapper then you can buy it at the store.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• redish ring around the bum...also try WIC for formula, or see if your dr can prescribe it and insurance pays
    glamarina

Answer by glamarina at 11:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• http://www.stretcher.com/stories/970911a.cfm
    more resources at this site!
    glamarina

Answer by glamarina at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ok i just found that enfamil makes a similar formula and its a few dollers cheaper not alot on diapers.com it was 22.00 versers 28.00 for similac. Im sure walmart probably carries this formula as they do have enfamil. Hope this helps.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I had decided to put her on alimentum, not my pediatrician, but in trying Good start Gentle Plus, this is her second week on it and now she is pooping really light green and its a thick consistency, is this normal???? I hate to go through every single formula out there. Also I'm afraid to try Soy because of the extra estrogen thats in it.
    hdsears

Comment by hdsears (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011