I hate to even ask this question, but here goes.... adult content

At what age can your child wipe their own behind? My sister-in-law still wipes both of her kid's and they are 8 and 5. I am a new mom, but that seems pretty old to me.

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 11:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• By the time they go to preschool or Kindergarten because the teachers are NOT going to do it for them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My daughter did it at 3. She's 4 now. Obviously if she's sick and has diarrhea I will help her and I will sometimes check just to make sure she got it all. I mean, how do they poop at school? She started preschool at 3 and they're required to be fully potty trained and they will not help them wipe unless it's an emergency.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 11:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Uh yea thats old...especially the 8 year old....that is just ridiculous! I started teaching my son and dd when they were about 4...by 5 they both had it down :) Hand washing and all :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Oh dear! I am not going to dictate what ages for all kids. My son is four and his teachers at preschool are not going to be keen on wiping his behind. So he does at school. Yes, we have the brown stains occassionally. And at home we encourage wiping. But we also continue to lend a hand when he asks. We tell him to wipe first and we will go behind him. I know he can do it because he does it at school. It is the poop that kills him. He hates the thought he didn't get it all. But it is a learning process. He will get it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my son is 3 and just got potty trained, I am thinking of teaching him soon.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That is way to old they would have to do it on there on at school just explain to her in a nice way how you feel on the issue be honest.
    mom_christian

Answer by mom_christian at 11:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Both of my boys began practice around 3 and by 5 had it pretty much perfected (at least acceptably perfected)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i would think the 8 year old would know and would want some privacy. i would say the 5yr old could still need a little help but i would say by then they are in school and they would probably would have to do it themselves. but some children want mommy to do everything all the time for them and if the mother babies them its hard to break them. my daughter is not even potty trained and pretends to wipe herself when she sits on her potty. so i am sure she will not have an issue.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If they go to school they should be wiping their own butt! Ours didn't get it down till a late 4 years old I believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sounds a bit old. Mine were at least four or five. Were they perfect at it? No. Sometimes I had to intervene, but now they are seven and nine and do all bathroom business on their own.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2011