have a question about nursing?

ok so my son just turned 15 months and he was nursing only at night well the past couple of night he has been sick with a cold so it is hard for him to nurse. well i gave him some medicine to help the cold and sleep easier well them two night he has not nursed at all not once. what if once he feels better and wants to nurse again? what if my milk dry up? can i get my milk back if he nurses again? i dont mind weening him i am just worried he will freak out without it.. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not sure how to answers. You could pump your mile to keep it from drying up. Maybe he is weening his self. Could you be pregnant?

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 11:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You can keep making it available to him, but I doubt if your milk will dry up entirely. Your supply may go down some, but it will come back. I weaned almost a year ago, and I can still express milk!
    See if he still has interest when he's feeling better. It's up to you if you want to wean. If you want to, this might be a good opportunity, but if you're not ready, that's okay too. I nursed until 18 1/2 months, and sometimes, I wish I'd gone longer. You're done when you're ready to be done.
    I hope your little man feels better soon! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Breasts are glands, not bladders. They make milk, whenever they are stimulated to do so. When the stimulation ends, they gradually stop making milk until they are once again stimulated to do so. You can rebuild a supply any time you want to (put in the effort).

The changes that happened during your first pregnancy that changed your breasts from a cute way to fill out a sweater into lactation glands stays happened... they do not revert to 'non-lactating bumps'. Ever.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You won't dry up after just a few days. If he wants to nurse, just let him. The sucking will bring up your supply if there was any drop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011