Help with dry beans

I used dry (white) beans for the first time; I usually use the canned, but I thought it was more economical to try the dry beans. I soaked them overnight and then I made a stew with them. By the time the stew was done, it was almost completely filled with empty skins and a lot of the beans had broken apart. Did I miss a de-skinning process, or did I simply overcook the beans?

ummu_moussa

Asked by ummu_moussa at 11:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've had the same problem with home cooked beans, so I'm curious if anyone has a solution! Even when they're still cooking, and they're not cooked through yet, I've noticed skins coming off.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Overcooked.

If you prefer your beans to be firmer, and have their skins intact, cook them before adding them to things like stew --and add a little salt to the water. I don't happen to like that 'canned beans' texture of tough skins, so I don't salt them... but if it's what you like, it's how to do it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I haven't had much luck with dried beans either..... I stick to cans if I can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• LOL no --- beans just do their own thing sometimes. White beans are notorious for taking it off when it gets too hot. And the beans breaking open make the stew a little thicker and yummy. You can try cooking them slower next time if it bothers you tho.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sounds like you might have bought some old beans. I've had it happen to me once using old kidney beans that had been in the pantry for YEARS...

BTW, I rarely purchase dry garbanzo or black beans anymore because it takes so much electricity to simmer them until they're done. I figure the extra expense of the canned equals out the extra time and energy costs to get them edible.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The heat they were cooked at was too high. They taste better cooked longer, but at a lower heat. When using dried beans, I always boil them for 5 minutes the night before, drain the water, and then soak them overnight in fresh water (I've heard this cuts down on gas, and it seems to work!) and then I start them around lunchtime so they are ready by supper, but at a low heat.
    Personally, I think the taste of dried beans wins out over canned anytime as long as they are cooked right!

Answer by missanc at 11:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The skins will come off when you soak overnight. Instead I rinse the beans and add water and boil for 5 minutes and turn off and allow to soak in the hot water for an hour, drain off the water, add fresh water and continue to cook at a slow boil.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Another thing to be careful of is to not add the salt until after the beans are fully cooked. Salt will toughen the beans and make them harder to cook. This may cause the skins to all come off if you are having to cook them longer than you should. Keep them on a low simmer too, don't boil them hard as they cook.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ive never use dry beans at all
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I stick to canned as well, the one time I cooked beans from scratch, I soaked overnight and then some and they were still pretty hard.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2011