Horizon organic milk not organic??

My son loves there chocolate milk and i recently found an article saying that it was not organic. My son loves milk thats all he wants to drink and i would rather him drink something that is the best of the best. SO does anyone have any ideas on if it is organic or not? Or what kind of organic milk is the best for my son that is not to expensive

his88angel

Asked by his88angel at 11:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Can you post the link to the article for us? My husband loves Horizon brand....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If it has the USDA stamp of Organic, It ":should" be organic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I buy Organic Valley. It's yummy.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• By law, if they have the USDA stamp, it is required to be organic. They'd be shut down if they weren't actually organic.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• http://green-mom.blogspot.com/2008/12/horizon-milk-is-not-organic-dean-foods.html there are lots of them online under horizon organic scam. I was trying to type in horizon organic to find there website and when i saw scam i had to read it
    his88angel

Comment by his88angel (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• This has been an ongoing debate since Dean Foods Co. bought the Horizon name in 2003. Basicaly, what it comes down to, is that a large portion of the farms that provide milk under the Horizon name do not pasture their cows, but keep them on feedlots & feed them grain (grain is not natural cow food). Horizon milk is also homogenized like non-organic milks, which kills the natural enzymes that the better organic milks contain. Although Horizon technically follows organic guidelines, they do so as loosely as possible. I purchase our organic milk from our local Coop., which gets the milk from local farmers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011