Have you heard of spokeo .com?

A friend of mine found a new site this weekend that lists all of your personal information.

It is like a new online white pages directory.

If you want to remove your information follow these steps:

1) Go to www.spokeo.com

2) Type in your name and state.

3) Click on your listing:

4) Click “See It All”

5) Go to the top of the page and copy the URL of your page:

6) Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click “Privacy”.

7) Enter your URL that you copied into the URL section along with your contact e-mail address and the CAPCHA provided. The site will then send a notification to your e-mail address and you can click the link to instantly remove your listing.

Good luck and stay safe!

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Technology

• Thanks for sharing this.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I went there and removed my info and then went back to check again and it was back up. I wonder if you have to keep asking for it to removed?

Answer by gemgem at 11:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I removed my stuff months ago. I went back a few weeks ago and it was still gone.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes I have heard of it and I went and removed myself from it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I just checked, I'm still gone
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• didnt know of this, thanks for sharing!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I saw this some weeks ago - attempted to remove the info but like the pp, it was back in a couple of days .... all of the info is pretty benign anyhow (really nothing more than what would be in the phone book) --- and most of my info wasn't even correct - Hell, you cant integrate the internet into your life and embrace the age of technology and expect to be untraceable, so it is what it is I guess.
    BUT - most of my info was either benign or just plain wrong - so I may be an exception to the rule on this one. I've heard that "some" people have been pretty well outed on Spokeo. But if one tracking cookie don't getcha another one will - unless you drop off the grid completely.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Mine was back after a couple days, not all the listings. There were around 5 for me lol. None of the pages had 100% of the info right either. Some still had me married to my ex husband. One had our house were in today listed for $138k and its worth twice that. My inlaws house was listed at $1m. Its a 100 sq ft ranch house with no frills. I dont know how they get their info.

Answer by gemgem at 12:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• OOO
    P.S I read that Spokeo only allows ONE remove request per day per IP address ---- which is a total rip.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• SEEEE O this is nuts...... I just tried to remove the listings again and I got an error message telling me

"In order to prevent abuse, we must limit the number of privacy requests per email address.
    Government officials please use your @.gov email address for priority processing."

So - WHAT, you gotta invent a new email address for each occurrence you want to remove??
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011