Boys and Shaving

My oldest son is 12 and he has dark hair on his upper lip that you can see from across the room. It makes his face look dirty all the time, and I catch myself handing him napkins to wipe his mouth before I realize it's actually the hair on his upper lip. When should I start suggesting he start shaving and how on EARTH do I teach him?

His dad is not around by his own choice. I guess Grampa could help but it would require a 200-mile round trip to enlist his help.

Any single moms out there raising boys who have any advice?

geminilove

Asked by geminilove at 12:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• really there is NO man any where in your life? No uncle, good friend, anyone???

my son had his dad teach him... I wish I had been in the room to give you advice... but I have no idea how to hold your lip to shave. My best guess wouold be to curve it around your teeth to make the skin tight
    Anonymous

• I am sure there are great videos on You Tube for the proper way of shaving. Otherwise, I would take him to a local barber and let them show him how to do it properly.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No anonymous. no man.

I have no siblings. I am not dating (nor do I care to). I have no close male friends nearby. His father is 100 miles away and wrapped up in his new family and has minimal contact despite my best efforts. His dad's family is extremely absent. And my dad is 100 miles away.

I'm just not even sure at this point I should be encouraging him to shave at all. Should I wait for him to ask? (That's when I started shaving my legs - when I got teased enough at school to want to.)
    geminilove

Comment by geminilove (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My 13 year old just started shaving this year. He has autism, so my husband (his stepdad) helps him. I'm sure there are some great youtube videos that you and he can view together. We bought my son an electric razor, which I think is easier for him and less chance of nicks, cuts, etc. He won't need to do it often at first - I think my son is up to every other week or so.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We bought a cheap electric razor for our son early, and he learned on his own. It was a christmas gift from santa when he was 12. I think if it doesn't look good, you should tell him yourself before he is picked on at school.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my son is now too and I am noticing the same thing .
    did he at anytime make a comment to you about him needing to shave soon ?? Mine did ! so I think that it maybe easier here.
    but you could make a comment to your son, not so that anyone else wiill hear it. Bring it up when just the 2 of you are together, this might just open the door.
    good luck !
    graciosa

Answer by graciosa at 1:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My oldest brought it by asking what razor he could use, and he taught himself. While he does have a father in the home, my son just took it on all by himself. I would guess youtube might have videos to show you how its done, if it was me and my son hadn't asked I would have asked him if he felt ready to shave.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Maybe just get him an electric one(easier) and put it in his room, and just say, "i got you a razor if you want" Maybe check out the bookstore, there may be a book about that sort of thing for boys.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Does he want to shave? Some boys do not want to shave off their mustaches at all. Some like to get it professionally done. Since there's no man to help, then send him to the Barber to get a trim and the Barber will show him how to care for the hair on his face.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011