Is it possible for an adult to become lactose intolerant?

If so what are some signs? Growing up I drank just about only milk. Now it seems as though just about everytime I consume too much dairy my stomach gets all sorts of messed up. That's that confusing thing, I can consume some, just not too much. For instance everyday I have a breakfast drink which is 1 cup milk 1/3 cup powder with no problem. However, yesterday I had my breakfast drink, some lasagna for lunch, some pizza with cheese bread for dinner, and some milk and cookies last night. I woke up this morning and my stomach was hurting so bad I could barely move. So am I lactose intolerant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• our bodies were not designed to handle milk past infancy. what other animal consumes milk after that? in general people will find it harder to handle milk as they age, but also our eating patterns can create food intolerance and allergy by the buildup of byproducts in our system, along with changes in proper body function due to unnatural substances and antiobiotics and other meds.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• its possible to be lactose intolerant now or maybe you have developed a allergy to it. the best way to know for sure is to see your doctor and have do a allergy test. My brother in law was the same way had always drink milk but about a year ago just couldnt stomach it really so he went to the doctor and they did test and it turned out he was allergic.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• What makes you think you are Lactose intollerant?Have you been reading up on it or know somebody who is?I know I don't wake up one day and say I'm this or that,you have to be having symptoms for a long time to tell.If you were you probably woudn't be able to tolerate cheese on the pizza either.I've been allergic to wheat,dairy,peanuts,but I eat them anyways.I don't break out in a rash or feel sick.But,I feel funny when I eat them and this has concerned me.Now,I try to eat just a little bit of these foods,at a time not mixed with the other.Like instead of p/b on wheat bread,I just eat a small spoonful of p/b.This also helps me regulate carbs. that I 'm sensitive with too.There may be a chance that you are allergic or sensitive to milk,so I would drink small portions of it or avoid it for sometime and see where your stomach ache is coming from..
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I was lactose intolorant when I was younger. Really bad. Now that I am older, it seems like I only react to cooked milk. Like warmed cheese or mac and cheese. You said you had lasagna and pizza, could be same like me. Although, it doesn't happen all the time. If it concerns you to an extreme, consult a doctor.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I'm also allergic or sensitive to eggs.I haven't read alot about this myself but if it were a allergy I have then I would suspect I wouldn't have worst symptoms.I know when I stop drinking milk I loose weight.There's information on the internet about this.Look up milk allergies and sensitivities.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• sure is...as the pp above me stated.. we are the ONLY mammals that continue to drink milk as adults...we are never really weened.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008