What is the easiest way to potty train a 3 yr. old boy?

I've tried rewarding him, the cheerio in the potty, bringing the potty out of the bathroom. Nothings working, please help!!!

Angell33

Asked by Angell33 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If your still putting him in a diaper or using pull ups ditch them. They hate to actually feel like they are wet and dirty and the only way to really feel that way is to have them in regular underwear.
    Second maybe take him to the store to buy him special big boy underwear let him pick them out and tell him he can only wear them if he dosnt potty in them. I let my son pee outside on a tree but the weather is getting cold now so i dont knw that will work for ya. Be patient boys are hard to potty train.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have learned the hard way the only thing that works is time and patience. I know that some people think that a kid should be potty trained by some outrageously early age. And I am sure some overachievers are, lol, but normal kids do it on there own time. I hated those looks and "she's not potty trained yet?" It made me so mad because I was trying, she wasn't. But now she is doing good. I would just tell those snotty people, "she and I are working on it" and left it at that.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Patience is the key here. My son wasn't potty trained until right before his 4th birthday. Like you, I tried everything including bribing him with toys and treats. I even went as far as to take him to the doctor to make sure that he was ok. She told me that he will do it when he is ready. One day he woke up and said he wanted to be a big boy and that was it with the diapers. My best advice to you is to keep offering and eventually he will get the hang of it. Good luck. Don't listen to everyone who says their kid was potty trained at such and such an age. Every kid is different.
    StarsLight

Answer by StarsLight at 2:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I know this may sound bad to some people, but when you live out in the country this can be done... We told our son to go pee outside off the porch or on the tree...he thought that would be fun... and apparently it was to him! He first pee'd in the potty when he was around a year old, but after that it took some time. He was finally potty trained right at his 3rd birthday. Another thing is being around older children that go to the potty helps.
    tgoodwin95

Answer by tgoodwin95 at 3:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2008