I am thinking about writing a nonfiction book but don't know where to begin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• What kind of nonfiction book?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As trite as it sounds, begin at the beginning.

What kind of book do you want to write? A memoir, biography, humor, how-to, self-help, cookbook, crafting book, travel journal...

Pick a genre. Pick a subject. Decide what you want to discuss in your subject.

Then sit down and start writing. Maybe your first draft isn't what you intended. That's okay. Get it out of your head and into text. Then you can edit, tweak and adjust till you're satisfied.

Best of luck!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• the best way to start is to figure out what you want to write about and then research and start writing.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My hubby is writing a book and has several conversations with publishers. Most of them have told him just to send the first 3 chapters and from the concept they have shown interest. Basically 60 pages or so and the publishers know if it will sell.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, first you need a good idea then you need to flesh out the idea. This means making lots of notes before you even being writing. I've been writing for 20 years, and it's always the stories/articles that I did a lot of preplanning on that are the best. If you need to do research that's the time to do it. Then you begin writing. Set yourself deadlines and goals. Don't beat yourself up if your rough draft isn't perfect. You can fix it later. Once you are on your final draft, have someone edit it for you. (PM me if you want me to help you with this step.) After it's been edited, write a query letter and start contacting agents. It's the agent who will find you a publisher.

Good luck.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Star by building your story out. The characters names, the names of the towns, the general plotline, etc. Then just start writing .. Whether it's starting with the middle or even starting with the end.. Just to get a general draft of what you want it to sound like.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011