why do single mom say " i am a single mom" I don;t go around saying " i am a married mom'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• typically its becuz they are asked i dont think anyone just goes around say hey im a single mother. i was a single mother for a long time i never announced it unless ask other wise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Because some women on here talk so much crap about single mothers - that single mothers have to defend themselves and try and show people who have an issue with single women that we arent as bad as you think we are. We work and take care of our children just like you do. But many married women feel like we leech off the government and are poor mothers. Thats why you see so many women stating they are single.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• well why dont you go around announceing that you are a married mom?? i dont see anything wrong either way...does it bother you or something?
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Really, it just dependson the mom. Some do it for the attention. They want you to have pitty on them b/c they have it so "rough". Others do what then need to and don't make a big deal about it. Sometimes it's relevant to the question or the way they answer. Again, it just depends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It doesn't stand out to me as unusual, usually its relevant to the situation -- as in -- they can't ask SO to take over for a few hours/minutes.... being a single Mom certainly has its own set of challenges to consider so when they ask for advice, they are offering as much info as possible. I don't see what the issue is.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I do not think people say it because they want pity.....
    When I refer to myself as I single mom...I am saying that I am a mother and I am not married.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• being a single mom is hard work and a lot of ppl mis judge single parents so we make it clear that we are not all bad. we dont go around annoncing it but it is asked quite often so we answer the question and we def dont want pity from anyone we just want to prove how strong we are!
    tyhlarsmommy07

Answer by tyhlarsmommy07 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You go girl!!!! Tyharlsmommy07
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am a married mom who wants to stand up for single moms.

Motherhood is a huge responsibilty and doing it alone is the hardest job there is! Hats off to you single moms! Personally, I don't know why anyone would choose to do it alone, but most single moms didn't choose to do it that way. Life happens. And kudos to the strong women who step up and do their best! I think it is relevant to let the others on this site know they're a single moms because I would just assume that the were married- which could change the advice I could give. Make dad do it- is my favorite go-to, for example! :) I think whenever someone tells you she's a single mom we should all offer her so much more support and help!
    ThreeMoodyGirls

Answer by ThreeMoodyGirls at 11:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it has to be the hardest job to be parenting as a single parent. Without a partner that means double or tripple the work load. Perhaps when women tell you they are a single mom they are clarifying that they have limited time on thier hands. As in a single mother was just asked by her son's teacher to bake 2 batches of cookies, volunteer for the class play, and make her son's costume. Ummm....single mom here! Can't do it all. Maybe next time. Or as in little Johnny has basketball practice three nights a week but that conflicts with his sister's dance schedule. Hello, single mom who needs some help from some team mates' parents to drive two nights out of the three. Thanks. It takes a villiage and when your a single parent your villiage just ain't that big and your responsible for the entire tribe. So if a single mom toots her horn, toot it right back and say Amen sister I don't know how you do it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008