is this infant eczema?

My son has a red rash all over his body some of it looks like little tiny blisters. I'm taking him to get checked tonight but I just want some input.

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has eczema, and has had it since he was 5 weeks old. His looked chapped when I first noticed it. Now at almost 3 at it's worse it looks red and scaly. It's rare that it'd be all over, normally places like their elbows and back of the knees. Although most kids with eczema have sensitive skin. Gl and hopefully he doesn't have it. It is the worse thing, I've had to deal with, so far :)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son has eczema head to toe, and has since he was 2 months old. He never had soft baby skin it was always dry and rough. At times when he was little it would be red and look almost infected. My son is 13 now and while when he was younger it was hard to keep under control because of all the drooling and putting his fingures in his mouth. As he got older we had to stop him from scratching all the time. Now he takes care of it himself with reminders from us.

My son uses protopic which works great and then he uses hydrolatum cream. I know it sounds crazy, but if it is ezcema try and give him a bath for about 20 minutes and then put the cream all over his body before you dry him off. Also make sure he drinks lots of water.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Thanks. He doesn't itch but he is only a year old so I didn't know if he even realizes he is itchy. Did you get blisters too?
    excitedmommy22

Comment by excitedmommy22 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think, like other posters have said, that eczema is more dry and scaly. When I hear blisters, I automatically think of shingles, poison ivy/oak, hand foot & mouth disease, chicken pox, stuff like that. GL! I hope he's not too uncomfortable :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011