how do i keep my 15 year old granddaughter safe from doing something dumb

im raising a 15 year old granddaughter, i have already raise 3 grown children. but the times have changed since then. how do i give trust to her?its hard cause i dont want her to do anything dumb. like get pregant. jerigale

jerigale

Asked by jerigale at 1:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• While my grandma did not raise me we were very close. One thing that I loved about her was that I could really talk to her about anything and everything. She really listened and did not judge, she was open and honest and I felt I could 'trust' her with what I said.
    For your granddaughter I would suggest you sit her down and talk to her. Tell her your concerns, and tell her that you are there for her, and be willing to talk about anything. I would also suggest that if she does talk, you really listen to her.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think you have to talk with her and listen when she talks, Make sure she understand what will happen if she does things like sex, drugs or drinking. I also think you have to be honest with yourself and not just think, Oh she won't do those things. For me it is about educating my kids and letting them know what I expect from them. It is also about being there if they make a mistake.

For example my kids know they should not drink. I have told them many times why and what will happen if they do drink. I have also told them if for some reason they choose to drink then they better call me or a cab before getting behind the wheel. They know they will get introuble when they get home, although they also know that I want them to be safe.

At somepoint you just have to trust that you have taught them well enough and if there is a problem they will come to you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My grandmother was a godly lady and she was the first one I told about my salvation. Being an example to your granddaughter is a very important issue and telling her the truth is significant in helping her. Of course, she needs to know that you care about her and that the decisions she makes now in her life will affect her life forever. I pray she is attending a good church with sound doctrine to help form her fews of life. Truth will help her know the character of God and to further her life in Christ. If your granddaughter is not a Christian, my first thought is to share Christ with her and tell her of His saving grace.
    DiannasDiary

Answer by DiannasDiary at 1:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Get her involved in things. Busy kids get in trouble less. Study after study shows this. My kids are very involved in music and theater. When they aren't doing homework, they are practicing or are at rehearsals. They are busy, but they love it. Sports are great too.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I myself am going to put my girls on the pill. teach them all about it and how to be safe. I am not gong to try to get details out of them, but i want them to know what they need to do to not have a baby. Telling them not to do it just isnt going to cut it.....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 1:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011